Go Blue. Go Further. Transfer Easier.

At UM-Flint, students benefit from the unique opportunity to have an entire city as their classroom. Our location and commitment to engaged learning make us a first choice for students who want to pursue a Michigan degree in a place where learning and action come together to make a real difference.

Whether you have just received your Associate’s Degree, or you’re simply looking for a change, UM-Flint provides an excellent opportunity to continue your education.

On this page (and using the tabs above), you will find information regarding admissions criteria, application requirements, and how to determine if your coursework will transfer. You'll find information on the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA), as well as how to evaluate individual coursework via our Transfer Equivalency Database (tab above). We're here to help make the process easy for you!

Transfer Student Requirements

  • You are considered a transfer student if you have taken college or university courses after you graduated from high school, or after you earned a GED.

  • A minimum of a 2.0 college GPA is required for students who have completed 24 or more college credits.

  • High School GPA will be considered for students with fewer than 24 college credits.

  • Admission is based on all available academic data, including grades earned at previously attended post-secondary institutions, and the strength of academic achievements in 24 or more semester hours of transferable college credit.
  • Transfer credit is granted for transferrable courses taken at regionally accredited institutions where a grade of “C” or better was received.
  • The University may consider non-academic factors in the admission decision, including information it receives regarding your leadership qualities, exceptional talents, conduct, and citizenship.
  • Students must earn a minimum of 45 semester hours at the University of Michigan-Flint, including the last 30 hours. Students must also satisfy all requirements for the degree they are pursuing.

Transfer Student Spotlight: 
Janelle Manuel


Transfer Admission Checklist

If you’re interested in transferring your credits to the UM-Flint, we’ll help walk you through the process here (printer-friendly version):

  1. Visit our campus
  2. Use the Transfer Equivalencies Database to see if your credits transfer (tab above)
  3. Apply: Use the SIS Online Web Application. (you can also download a printable version)
  4. Application Fee: There is a $30 non-refundable application fee payable with your paper application (no fee to apply online).
  5. Submit Transcripts: Request that your *official transcripts from all prior post-secondary schools attended (including community colleges, colleges, or universities) be sent to the University of Michigan-Flint Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Official high school transcripts are required if you have earned less than 24 college/university credits. AP scores should be sent in order to receive course credit (if applicable). Note: A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is required for admission at the University of Michigan-Flint.
  6. Submit all supporting documents for scholarship consideration (optional): This includes essays and letters of recommendation.  Although the Admissions Essay is optional, it provides an opportunity to allow us to get to know you better and is used for students applying for scholarships. While you can write about any subject, you might choose to discuss some of the following:
  • Reason for choosing your major
  • Intended career field
  • Motivation to go to college
  • Obstacles or struggles that you have overcome to pursue your education

Admission decision: Please allow at least two weeks from the time we receive all of your credentials to process your application. Processing time can increase during high volume application periods. Applications for upcoming semesters will be processed first during peak periods.

Credit Database

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

To assist you in planning to transfer to the University of Michigan-Flint, we have compiled a transfer equivalency guide that lists many accredited colleges and universities. This will allow you to work with your current advisor to ensure that the courses you are taking make the best use of your time prior to transferring.

Review Your Transfer Credits

About the database:

All acceptable college courses that appear on an official transcript and have been completed at another regionally accredited* institution for which a letter grade of C or better has been earned will be given University of Michigan-Flint degree-seeking credit.

It is a requirement that all transfer students must earn a minimum of 45 semester hours at the University of Michigan-Flint, including the last 30 hours. Students must also satisfy all requirements for the degree they are pursuing. Exceptions to this policy can be considered only by petition to the appropriate Academic Standards Committee.

* To be considered for transfer equivalency, course work must be completed at an institution that is fully accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies: New England, Middle States, Southern, North Central, Western, and Northwest.