Frequently Asked Questions

Does UM-Flint have an application deadline?

Fall (September classes):  
  Priority Deadlines:  
  Freshmen November 1
  Transfer Students July 1
  Final Deadline: Ten business days prior to the first day of classes. (Labor Day not included.)
Winter (January classes):  
  Priority Deadlines: October 1
  Final Deadline: Ten business days prior to the first day of classes. (Holiday break not included.)

Do you have scholarships available?

Yes, merit scholarships are available through the Office of Admissions. Learn more about them by visiting our Scholarships page. Additional scholarships are available through our Office of Financial Aid.

What is the maximum number of transfer credits that you accept?

We do not have a maximum;  We accept ALL transferrable credits. You must have earned a grade of C or better in order to receive transfer credit for the course. Students must complete all degree requirements, and take 45 institutional hours here at the University of Michigan-Flint, including the last 30 hours of their degree. 

For more information on transfer credit equivalencies, see the Transfer Equivalencies Database.

Where do I go to find out how my courses will transfer to UM-Flint?

The University of Michigan-Flint has compiled transfer equivalencies for many accredited colleges and universities. You may find transfer credit information on our Transfer Equivalencies Database.

What do I need to transfer to UM-Flint?

Do I have to request my transcripts, and if so, where should I send them?

Yes, you must request an official copy of your transcripts in order to complete your application. Send the transcripts to:

University of Michigan-Flint
Office of Admissions
303 E. Kearsley
Flint, MI  48502

Do I have to turn in an essay and letters of recommendation?

These are optional items.  You should submit these items if you would like to be considered for one of our Merit Scholarships.

What majors/programs of study do you offer?

We offer over 120 different programs of study in our College of Arts and Sciences and three professional schools: School of Education and Human Services; School of Health Professions and Studies; and School of Management. Visit the Catalog to view the complete list of academic majors offered at the University of Michigan-Flint.

Do you have on-campus housing?

Yes, we do have on-campus housing! You can find more more information on the Housing and Residential Life website.

I have applied to the University of Michigan-Flint previously, and was accepted. Do I need to apply again?

If you applied for admission less than one year ago, you may telephone our office at (810)-762-3300 and change the semester in which you want to attend.  If it has been more than one year since you submitted your application, you must fill out a new application.

Admissions Application forms can be found on our Forms page.

How do I register for orientation?

Click here to visit the University of Michigan-Flint Online Orientation Program, then follow the step-by-step instructions to register for Freshmen Orientation.

What makes my transcripts "official"?

"Official" transcripts must be sent directly from the high school, college, or university to our Office of Admissions, or, you may bring a copy of the transcripts to our office.  Transcripts must be enclosed in a sealed envelope.

If I am admitted, does my grade point average (GPA) from previously-attended colleges/universities carry over?

No. Your Grade Point Average (GPA) from previously attended institutions will NOT carry over to the University of Michigan-Flint. University of Michigan will calculate a new GPA based on courses completed at this university.

Do I need to send in transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities?

Yes, you must provide official transcripts for ALL previously attended colleges and universities. These will be used to determine your eligibility for admission to the university.

May I speak with an academic advisor prior to being admitted to the university?

Yes, you may speak to one of our academic advisors, even if you have not yet been admitted to the university. Remember to bring a copy of your transcripts with you when you meet with the advisor. Visit the Academic Advising and Career Center website for more information.

What is an enrollment deposit?

Undergraduate Admissions no longer requires Freshman students to pay an enrollment deposit to secure their place in the incoming student class.

I am having financial difficulties right now. Can I have my application fee waived?

You may submit a Request for Application Fee Waiver form with your application.

Can I take classes online?

The University of Michigan-Flint offers undergraduate and graduate-level courses online through our Office of Extended Learning.

Does University of Michigan-Flint have an online degree program?

The University of Michigan-Flint currently offers several online degree programs.