Dual Enrollees

Looking for a way to challenge yourself and get ahead? Attending the University of Michigan–Flint as a dual-enrolled student while you are still in high school may be a great option!

Outstanding high school students may enroll in the University of Michigan–Flint for part-time study while finishing their high school graduation requirements. Students must have a 3.2 recalculated grade point average in high school academic subjects in the 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. Your high school may also have additional requirements. Qualified sophomores and juniors may also be considered for admission.

Steps to Dual Enrollment

  1. First, check your school district's policies regarding dual enrollment with your high school counselor.
  2. Ask your counselor if you are eligible for tuition reimbursement through your high school. Tuition reimbursement from your school district is not required to attend classes at UM-Flint as a dual-enrollee. You can cover your own tuition costs if you are admitted as a dual enrolled student.
  3. Work with your high school guidance counselor to make sure that the college courses you plan to take do not conflict with your high school courses, employment, and extracurricular activities.
  4. An exceptional grade point average is required to be considered for dual enrollment admission. You must have a recalculated GPA of 3.2 or higher. You will also need to a letter of recommendation with your application.
  5. Get an application from your high school counselor or contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, or you can apply online here. Complete the application and turn it in to your high school counselor to be submitted to us with your transcripts, letter of recommendation, and grade release form.
  6. You will receive a letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions notifying you of your acceptance. You can receive your student ID and parking pass in the University Pavilion during the first week of classes. (If you have registered for Math 111 or English 111, you will need to contact the Academic Advising and Career Center to schedule an appointment to complete your placement.)
  7. Once you’ve completed your first semester, your grades will be sent to your high school, provided we have received your grade release form. These grades will begin your college record and will stay with you for the duration of your college career.
  8. If you plan to continue as a dual-enrolled student, you will need to complete an application and grade release form for each semester you would like to attend. If you would like to continue your college career at UM–Flint after you graduate, you will be able to fill out a free application to be considered for freshman admission.

Next Steps

Learn more about the guidelines for recognition of Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and/or College Level Examination Program (CLEP).

Click here for an admission checklist to help you through the admission process.

Contact your high school counselor or one of our admissions counselors.