Mott2UM-Flint Frequently Asked Questions

How does financial aid work?

Mott2UM-Flint students apply for financial aid through the University of Michigan-Flint. Transferable* credits at Mott Community College are combined with UM-Flint credits to determine eligibility for federal and state financial aid, which is awarded and disbursed through UM-Flint.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required and can be completed online at Include UM-Flint’s Federal School Code of 002327 on the FAFSA. For those students participating in the Mott2UM-Flint program, all financial aid is processed through UM-Flint and is deducted from the UM-Flint bill. If the financial aid awarded is greater than your costs, a refund is issued. Since financial aid is processed through UM-Flint, it is not reflected on the Mott bill. Therefore, students are required to pay their tuition bill at Mott based on the payment deadline established by Mott.

Your social security number is required to be on file at both UM-Flint and Mott for financial aid, student employment, and tax reporting purposes. For financial aid questions, contact the University of Michigan-Flint Office Financial Aid & Scholarships at (810) 762-3444.

*Transferable MCC courses are those which have a UM-Flint equivalent and in which you receive a letter grade of C or better. View transfer equivalencies. You may choose to take non-transferrable courses at Mott while in Mott2UM-Flint concurrent enrollment program, but they will not be considered for Financial Aid purposes.

I’m receiving a scholarship from the University of Michigan-Flint and/or Mott Community College. Can I still participate in Mott2UM-Flint?

Yes. If you receive an UM-Flint scholarship, you must enroll in a minimum of 15 UM-Flint credit hours for the fall semester of your admission year or the award will be permanently cancelled.* In subsequent semesters, your scholarship remains active only during the semesters when you are enrolled in UM-Flint courses for at least 15 credit hours. Additional renewal criteria may apply. If you receive a Mott scholarship, you must enroll at Mott for the total credits required for the Mott scholarship.

* Students must comply with all scholarship renewal criteria to retain the award. UM-Flint scholarship funds cannot be used to fund classes at Mott.

Can I take a campus tour at either institution?

For a tour of the University of Michigan-Flint’s campus, available most weekdays and select Saturdays, please register online or call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (810) 762-3300.

Mott Community College offers campus tours on select weekdays; visit to register.

Is there a special orientation for Mott2UM-Flint students?

New Mott2UM-Flint students must attend orientation at both UM-Flint and Mott. Both UM-Flint and Mott will send orientation information to you once you are admitted to the Mott2UM-Flint program. Both orientation programs will instruct you on how to access the appropriate placement testing for UM-Flint and Mott classes.

Will I receive a bill for both the University of Michigan-Flint and Mott Community College?

Yes. Depending on how many credits you choose to take at each institution, your bill will vary. If you take classes at both UM-Flint and Mott you will be billed separately; however, your financial aid award letter will come from the University of Michigan-Flint’s Office of Financial Aid.

Who do I contact to find out more information about the Mott2UM-Flint program?

To learn more, call Laura Christensen Saims, Recruitment Coordinator, at UM-Flint's MCC Office, located on Mott's campus, at (810)232-2851 or email her at

Students interested in Mott2UM-Flint are also strongly encouraged to attend an information session.

Do I have to take courses at both institutions every semester?

No, just as any other UM-Flint or MCC student, you can take off a semester or more (up to one year) if life circumstances dictate. You can take as many or as few courses at each institution each semester as you like; the only limitation is that any semester in which you are enrolled at either institution, you must be enrolled at UM-Flint for at least 3 credit hours to remain eligible for the Mott2UM-Flint concurrent enrollment program.

How long can I remain in the Mott2UM-Flint concurrent enrollment program?

Up to 4 years or 62 credits, whichever occurs first. That will allow you sufficient time to complete an Associates degree through Mott and be well on your way to completing your Bachelor's degree at UM-Flint.