In an 1837 letter to family back east, Ann Arbor resident Sarah C. Miles Case wrote, “A branch of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor is to be established in Flint at some future day.”
That day turned out to be September 23, 1956, nearly 120 years after Sarah penned the first recorded mention of a University of Michigan-Flint campus. On this day, the Flint Senior College welcomed the Class of 1958, the first graduating class of what we now know as the University of Michigan-Flint.
This oral history project is our attempt to capture the memories of our first graduates, as told in their own words, nearly 60 years after the awarding of their diplomas.
UM-Flint’s Alumni Relations and the Genesee Historical Collections Center, a unit of the Frances Willson Thompson Library, collaborated on this project.
This project was made possible by a grant from the U-M Bicentennial.
A branch of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor is to be established in Flint at some future day. - Ann Arbor resident Sarah C. Miles Case, in an 1837 letter to family back east
The Campus News Digest (CND) features announcements, news, and event updates relevant to the UM-Flint campus.
A team of UM-Flint engineering students competed in Baja SAE, an event that challenges students to design and build an offroad vehicle.
During the Spring-Time Pop-Up Celebration on Flint’s Martin Luther King Avenue, students in the College of Arts & Sciences Art & Art History Department held a pop-up of their own.
Jermariana Chandler, one of the first recipients of the Chancellor's Scholarship, graduated in April 2019.