What to expect your 1st appointment
Information for new clients
- Students who believe they are eligible for services must self-identify and provide current documentation of their disability to CAPS in order to determine appropriate services.
- Students are encouraged to schedule a meeting with a CAPS staff member before the start of an academic year to discuss specific needs and accommodations.
- Students are strongly encouraged to be proactive due to the fact that some accommodations, e.g., adaptive equipment, alternative book format, etc., can take several weeks to order/obtain.
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation, personal attendant, and other items not directly related to the academic environment.
- Documentation should not be more than three years old and turned in within 30 days of registering with CAPS.
- Documentation should come from the health care professional who diagnosed or is currently treating you and must be an expert in the field.
Short Term Counseling and Psychotherapy (UCLA)
Circumstances that may necessitate a referral to CAPS:
- Personal feeling of discomfort/unease dealing with student or topic
- High level of stress in own life
- Lack of time
- Personal feelings that may interfere with objectivity
- Student’s stated desire for professional assistance
- Potential conflict of interest
- Student’s desired assistance is beyond faculty or staff’s professional expertise