Entering the University of Michigan-Flint

Whether you are a new freshman or a transfer student, you must submit an application to the Admissions Office. They can assist you with gaining acceptance into the University, transferring classes, and familiarizing you with the campus. Once you have been accepted, you will receive a letter from the Academic Advising Center letting you know where you should go for advising. Typically, you will start out meeting with an advisor from Academic Advising, but you may be sent directly to the Communication Department for advising depending on the number of credits you are transferring into the University. Most placement tests are administered by the Academic Advising Center. You can still take communication courses without being admitted into the program.

Entering into the Communication Department

Once you have completed 30 credits and declared communication as your major through the Registrar's Office, you will be advised through the Communication Department.

Honors Program in Communication

Admission into the Honors Program is decided during the time of admission into the University. Applicants are considered on the basis of grade point average, extracurricular activities, ACT score, and personal interview. All honors students start out as part of the general Honors Program. Once you have declared communication as your major and completed the freshman/sophomore honors program, you will apply to the Honors Program in Communication.