Without going too far into all of Google Analytics’ capabilities, the following definitions of terms found in its basic metrics dashboard are very useful. They are derived from the presentation Matthew Adams from the U-M LS&A delivered at UM-Flint in March 2013.
- Visit – a user came to your website and consumed content; a session.
- Unique Visitors – the number of unduplicated visitors to your website over the course of a specified time period.
- Pages/Visit – the average number of pages viewed during a visit to your website. Repeated views of a single page are also counted.
- Average Visit Duration – length of time a visitor's browser has your website open.
- Bounce Rate – percentage of sessions on your website with only one page view.
- Percentage of New v. Returning Visitors – visitors coming to your site for the first time v. visitors who have been there before.