Bar Service

Bar Service for the University of Michigan-Flint campus can be arranged by contacting Event & Building Services (EBS). All alcohol must be dispensed by EBS staff, who have been trained and certified in alcohol management. EBS staff will supervise and tend to the bar service at the event. Service can easily be tailored to meet your needs by contacting EBS at 810-762-3436.

Bar Service Policy

  • University buildings other than Riverfront Banquet Center do not have a liquor license (commonly referred to as a 'non-licensed' facility). Customers using these venues are required to purchase and bring in all alcohol prior to their event at a prearranged time and then remove all alcohol from the premises at the conclusion of the event.
  • For a non-licensed facility, the client must provide the alcohol for their event. The alcohol is limited to eight different choices. Each different type or brand of alcohol will be considered to be one of these eight. Multiple bottles of the same type and brand of alcohol will only count as one choice.
  • Alcohol may be dispensed without charge to attendees or hosts and only at events that are designated as ‘by invitation only.’
  • For wedding receptions, the client may choose to have a champagne toast for the bridal party at the head table. This would count as one of the eight choices and must be served by EBS staff. The champagne toast is available only for the bridal party at the head table and not for every guest.
  • No shots or double shots may be served at any time, and no drinks may contain more than 1 type of alcohol. All alcohol must be diluted with ice and a mixer.  The bar serves a measured one-ounce shot per drink. Bar service does not include blended, ice cream, or milk/cream drinks.
  • No pitchers of beer or pitchers of mixed drinks will be served.
  • No open bottles of champagne or wine will be left on guest tables.
  • Drinks are supplied to guests by the cup only.  Cups of ice only are not permitted to be served.
  • EBS reserves the right to limit the maximum number of drinks an individual may receive at one time.
  • Alcohol service is for a minimum of 2 hours and maximum 4.5 hours. Bar service must conclude 45 minutes before the scheduled event ending time and prior to midnight.
  • The University of Michigan-Flint abides by all State of Michigan liquor laws including:
      • The legal drinking age in the state of Michigan is 21 years of age for all alcoholic beverages. EBS staff require proper identification of any guest who appears to be under the age of 30. No one under 21 years of age will be allowed to drink alcoholic beverages.  Upon request for identification, if the guest is not able to produce a valid picture identification, by law, alcohol service cannot be provided.
      • EBS reserves the right to deny alcoholic beverage service to anyone (and everyone) at any time if it appears that underage drinking or guest intoxication is occurring. EBS staff has the sole right to make decisions regarding appropriate service of alcoholic beverages without client recourse. Individual behavior concerning service of alcohol is governed by the Liquor Control Commission, state and local law and the University of Michigan Student Policy on Alcohol and Drugs.
      • Guests are not permitted to obtain alcoholic beverages for underage or intoxicated guests.
  • By law, no alcohol, other than that brought in by the contract signer or delivery service prior to the event may be present or consumed at the facility. Delivered alcohol must be in sealed containers.
  • It is not permissible for anyone, other than the prearranged contact or delivery service, to bring in and/or remove any type of alcohol, opened or sealed, anywhere on the premises. In addition, when the aforementioned alcohol is removed, it must be taken directly to a vehicle. It is not permissible for alcohol to be served, inside or on the surrounding property of the University of Michigan-Flint after the bar service has ended. Bringing alcohol into the facility during the event is prohibited by law and will be confiscated and will not be returned to the guest.
  • No additional alcohol may be brought into the facility to replenish the bar after the initial alcohol inventory is dropped off and approved by the host or designee.  The bar may not be restocked if any alcoholic items run out.
  • Adequate food must be provided whenever alcohol is present. "Adequate food" is considered to be three hors d'oeuvres per person per hour. If no hors d'oeuvres are present, meal service must begin within 1 hour of the bar service.
  • If the client wants to provide beer for their event, the beer must be in a keg. EBS will not accept or serve bottled or canned beer and will not pour bottled or canned beer into cups for guests. Exceptions to this rule to be made under EBS discretion only. Homemade beer and/or wine cannot be served.
  • The consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted within the public areas of University facilities; this includes but is not limited to sidewalks and parking lots.
  • One-half of the total contract amount is due at contract signing; contract signing must occur no less than 30 days prior to the event. The remaining balance is due 14 days prior to the event.
  • The guest count for the bar service may only be adjusted upward after the contract is signed.
  • If the contract has been paid in full and additional guests are added, the amount owing must be paid in full in order to confirm the increase in number. Guest counts can go down and previously assessed fees will remain the same.
  • Liability insurance, in the amount of $1,000,000, naming additional insured "The Regents of The University of Michigan" is due no later than 14 days prior to the event. In the location description of the insurance rider, list "The University of Michigan-Flint, 303 E. Kearsley Street, Flint, MI 48502."

Types of Bar Service

  • Full Open Bar Service - includes soft drinks (Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite), juices (cranberry, grapefruit, orange and pineapple), mixers (tonic, soda, grenadine and sweet & sour mix), garnish, plastic and paper products.
  • Partial Open Bar Service - includes soft drinks (Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite), plastic and paper products.

Special License (Non-profit or Civic Organizations)

Special licensing is required in a non-licensed facility to sell alcohol at an event.  Special licensing is available only to non-profit or civic organizations and not individual private parties, i.e. wedding receptions.

The organization is responsible for selling drink tickets that are presented at the bar to 'purchase' a drink.

The process to secure the State of Michigan Special License must begin no later than 45 days prior to the event.  If the process begins less than 45 days before the event, the license may not be issued in time for the event.  By law, bar service is prohibited without the original Special License.

Before initiating the application process, the organization must receive permission in writing from UM-Flint stating the organization has been given permission to hold an alcohol event on campus.  Event and Building Services (EBS) will submit the request on behalf of the organization.

The original Special License must be received by EBS 14 days prior to the event and must be posted in the bar area by the EBS staff.  The original license will be returned to the event contact person upon conclusion of the event as the license must be returned to the State of Michigan.

The Special License application and instructions may be found online at:,4601,7-154-89334_10570_16941-391552--,00.html

NOTE: The University does not require the City of Flint Police Department to sign as the 'investigator' in Part I, #9, of the application.  This section will be completed by UM-Ann Arbor.

EBS at the UM-Flint will provide a room diagram as required in the application.  The room diagram must accompany the Special License application when it is sent to UM-Ann Arbor.

Client must notify EBS when the application has been mailed to the appropriate office in Ann Arbor.