University of Michigan-Flint Food Safety Policy

The University of Michigan-Flint Food Safety Policy applies to all areas of campus defined in any of the categories listed below:

  • Meeting/conference rooms (reservable spaces)
  • Outdoor areas including parking lots, parks, lawns
  • Lounges (open areas that can be entered from a hallway or by the general public)
  • Atriums/Lobbies
  • University funded events held off campus within a serviceable distance (exception is made if you are using a facility that requires use of an exclusive caterer)
  • All other areas on University property where events might be scheduled
  • All food and beverages consumed on campus must be obtained from University Catering Services or an Approved Caterer.The exception is food brought to campus for one’s own personal consumption.
  • Commercial take-out pizza establishments:Little Caesar’s, Jets, Cottage Inn, etc. (does not include restaurants that sell pizza) – 15% surcharge for non-University sponsored events does not apply.

It is important that food service providers prepare and serve food in a safe manner in accordance with state and local regulations and ordinances.  Any potentially hazardous food offered to the public requires licensing of a food vendor by a local health department.  Potentially Hazardous Food is defined as food that is natural or synthetic and that requires temperature control because it is in a form capable of supporting the rapid and progressive growth of infectious or toxigenic microorganisms.

To prevent serving potentially hazardous food to the public, The Genesee County Health Department, a branch of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD), requires that food served at UM-Flint must be prepared in a licensed facility. The “public” includes any group of faculty, staff, students and/or guests gathered for a formal event, meeting, or activity. To be in compliance, the following applies to UM-Flint:

  • If food has been prepared in a facility licensed by the MDARD, transported in a safe manner, and held at proper temperatures at a temporary serving location, no “additional” license is required, provided that no cooking, slicing, assembly, or other preparation occurs at the temporary serving location. At UM-Flint, only University Catering Service or a University Approved Caterer may be used for catering purposes.
  • Food prepared in a non-licensed facility may only be served at functions such as closed department or unit activities i.e., staff meetings, “potlucks”, etc. which are held in a private area and not held in a room/space scheduled through EBS or one that would be accessible to the general public.
  • Anytime food is being assembled or prepared on campus from a non-licensed facility, a one day site license from the Genesee County Health Department is required.
  • Temporary food service carts (cotton candy, ice cream, snow cones), with no food preparation, using only single-service articles, may serve only non-potentially-hazardous foods or beverages. These events must be pre-approved in advance by EBS.This may require a liability insurance rider naming the Regents of the University of Michigan as an additional insured.
  • Tents to cover the service area for food and/or beverages at outdoor events is strongly encouraged.

approved caterers
Outdoor grilling Policy

Outdoor grilling on the campus of UM-Flint is permitted only in specified areas.  All grilling must be performed by University Catering Service, Pavilion food vendors, or other Approved Caterers.  Any questions regarding areas on campus where outdoor grilling is desired should be directed to EBS.

Due to food safety regulations, the Genesee County Health Department requires a special license for all outdoor cooking, including grilling.  The caterer must obtain a one-day license in order to provide outdoor cooking service and follow all outdoor grilling policies.  A special license can take up to two weeks to process and must be posted at the catered event.

University departments, as well as students, student groups, faculty and staff are not permitted to use outdoor grilling equipment (University-owned or personal) on campus.