Outdoor Grilling Policy
Outdoor grilling on the campus of University of Michigan-Flint is permitted only in specified areas. All grilling must be performed by 1) University Catering Service; 2) Pavilion food vendors; 3) Approved Caterer. If selecting an Approved Caterer, a 15% surcharge applies to the total amount of the invoice. A list of Approved Caterers can be found at http://umflint.edu/ebs/caterers.htm.
Due to food safety regulations, the Genesee County Health Department requires a special license for all outdoor cooking, including grilling. The caterer must obtain a one-day license in order to provide outdoor cooking service.
University departments, as well as students, student groups, faculty and staff are not permitted the use of outdoor grilling equipment (University-owned or personal) on campus.
Below are the areas where grilling on campus is permitted:
- Willson Park (corner of Wallenberg and First Streets)
- North Lawn (grassy area located north of the University Center and south of the Flint River)
- McKinnon Plaza
- Grassy area located east of Lot R (corner of Robert T. Longway and James P. Cole Boulevard)
- Picnic pavilion area located near the pedestrian bridge on the north side of the Flint River (on James P. Boulevard)
- Requests for other grilling locations will be considered for areas not mentioned above
See map for exact locations.
Any questions regarding areas on campus where outdoor grilling is desired should be directed to Event and Building Services located in Room 176 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-3436. University Catering Service retains the right to grill at locations not mentioned in this policy.
Approved by the UM-Flint Executive Officers 05/09