Early Childhood Studies Minor
The Minor in Early Childhood Studies provides interested individuals a basic introduction to the early childhood, child development, and young children. This program is designed for students in any major program who have an interest in early childhood or in working with young children and their families. These are students who are following majors other than Elementary Education or Elementary Education majors who are not pursuing the Early Childhood Specialist Endorsement (ZS).
Education Department information
The Minor in Early Childhood Studies provides a basic introduction to early childhood studies and working with young children and families of young children. The minor is designed both for students with majors outside Elementary Education and those with an Elementary Education major who are not pursuing the Early Childhood Specialist Endorsement (ZS), yet have an interest in early childhood education.
Twenty-one credits as follows:
A. Core Courses (15 credits)
- ECE 100 - Foundations of Early Childhood Education. (3).
- ECE 200 - Child Development and Learning. (3)
- ECE 225 - Play and Learning in Early Childhood Education. (3).
- ECE 235 - Working with Families, Children and Community. (3).
- ECE 468 - Supervised Fieldwork in Early Childhood. (1-3).
B. Electives (6 credits)
- ECE 120 - Music in Early Childhood. (3)
- ECE 233 - Infant/Toddler Learning Environments. (3).
- ECE 240 - Child Guidance and Classroom Management. (3).
- ECE 343 - Emergent Literacy. (3).
- ECE 420 - Young Children with Special Needs. (4).
- ECE 449 - Administration, Organization and Operation of Early Childhood Programs. (3).
- ECE 480 - Independent Study in Early Childhood Education. (1-3).
- ECE 485 - Special Topics in Early Childhood Education. (1-6).
- ART 101 - Art Education-Elementary. (3).
- DAN 301 - The Art of Teaching Dance. (3).
- EDE 340 - Creative Learning Experiences. (3).
ZS vs. Minor
Interested in either the ZS or the Early Childhood Studies Minor but not sure which one to take? This chart helps you to compare the two programs and figure out which one is best for you.
|Specialization in Early Childhood (ZS)
||Early Childhood Studies Minor
|Students pursuing teacher certification
||For anyone interested in young children and families (not for certification)
|Elementary Education major
||Any UM-Flint major
|ZS Endorsement Program (MTTC test req.)
|31 credit hours
||21 credit hours
|No electives; all required courses
||18 required, 6 credit hours of electives