Inclement Weather Notification Plan
The University of Michigan-Flint may close in the event of inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances. With the onset of winter, it is once again time to review how students, faculty and staff will be notified in the event of a closure.
Severe weather, power outages, a water main break—any of these situations can cause a full or partial closure of the campus. Incidents may occur that will necessitate the closing of campus at any time of the day and sometimes, only a portion of a day’s classes may be cancelled. The leadership team that makes the decision to cancel classes for an entire day will try to make the announcement no later than 5:00 a.m. for the sake of those who have a long commute to campus. However, with the unpredictability of any situation, this may not always be possible.
When inclement weather forces the campus-wide cancellation of classes, the UM-Flint Emergency Alert System will be activated so that registered users will receive texts messages and voice mail. If you have not registered to receive UM-Flint Emergency Alerts, please visit the Emergency Alert Sign-up page.
As soon as a decision is made about closing the campus, the following communication procedure will be activated:
- UM-Flint Emergency Alert System activated.
- Information will immediately get posted on the front page of the UM-Flint web site at www.umflint.edu.
- An e-mail will be sent to all students, faculty and staff with the closing information.
- Closing information will also be posted on university social networking sites Facebook and Twitter.
- The University Relations staff will contact the media to announce the closing. Media outlets that will be contacted include:
- WJRT, ABC 12
- WEYI, NBC 25
- WNEM, TV 5
- WJBK, Fox 2 Detroit
- WXYZ – TV 7
- WDIV – TV 4
- WJR, WWJ, WWCK, WDZZ, WUOM, WFBE, WHNN, WCRZ, WOMC, WRSR, WWBN, WKCQ, WOWE, WAAM, WKQI, WCRL, WLSP
The quickest and most reliable closing information will be available to you via the web site and your campus email, so you are urged to check for closing information there first if at all possible.
If you are interested in learning more about the Campus Emergency Response Plan (ERP) it can be reviewed and downloaded from Environment, Health and Safety's website. Additionally, the campus closing portion can be found on page 43.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jennifer Hogan or Mel Serow in the Office of University Relations at (810) 237-6570.