Committed to Excellence
& Opportunity Program
The Committed to Excellence and Opportunity Pre-College Program contributes to the mission of the Division of Student Affairs by providing middle and high school students with a variety of academic workshops, leadership, and cultural enrichment opportunities. Working as a collaborative community (students, parents, UM-Flint, and additional external and internal stakeholders) to increase college access, retention, and completion, CEO offers transformative experiences to support life-long learning, self-actualization, resiliency, and high levels of achievement.
- Scholars will complete a college preparatory curricula and workshops to increase their college preparedness.
- Scholars will increase their self-advocacy through diverse cultural experiences.
- Scholars will develop leadership skills through civic engagement opportunities and youth participatory action research.
Eligibility for CEO
- First Generation College Student
- First Generation College Student (one or both biological parent(s) did not graduate from college)
- Low Income
- Underrepresented Minority (African American, Native American, Hispanic/Latino, Filipino, Pacific Islander)
- Attends a school district with low college-going rates
CEO And You
CEO And You
Discover the new changes within the CEO Program
In the summer of 2014, EOI converged all pre-college program initiatives (Choosing to Succeed (CTS, Wade H. McCree, Jr. Incentive Scholarship Program (ISP), Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEARUP) and Parent University under the single umbrella of Committed to Excellence and Opportunity (CEO). The Pre-college Unit of the Educational Opportunity Initiatives (EOI). The program is primarily funded by the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation. The GEAR-UP Program is funded by the State of Michigan King/Chavez Parks Initiatives in the office of Education and Career Success.
The CEO Pre-College Program, working as a collaborative community, is dedicated to the development of student scholars through holistic education. Through developing leaders, we will empower students to recognize their potential, maximize their opportunities, promote academic excellence, and utilize their acquired skills for the purpose of attaining a post-secondary degree.