To be eligible for the GEAR UP program at the University of Michigan-Flint, students must identify as ONE of the following:
- GEAR UP college freshman enrolled at UM-Flint
- Genesee County student in grades 7th – 12th
Through its comprehensive program model comprised of academic enrichment workshops, leadership development opportunities, conferences, and college visits, the UM-Flint GEAR UP Program equips students with the support, skills and exposure necessary to succeed in college and beyond. GEAR UP programming provides information necessary to make informed decisions about how to achieve their identified long-term goals (personal and professional), and the value of a post-secondary education in accomplishing such goals.
- Increase the number of students in good academic standing at UM-Flint
- Increase student retention and graduation at the high school and collegiate level
- Increase students’ knowledge about post-secondary education