The FAFSA is the Federal Application For Student Aid. It is an application created by the government that is used to determine a student's financial need.

The above video explains the FAFSA process as well as some relevant terms.

How do I apply?

Students may apply for the FAFSA online at

You may also follow the 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA guide (this is an external website).

What do I need?

  • Students must first apply for an FSA ID. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on the FAFSA. Visit the Federal Student Aid website to create your FSA ID.

  • Male students age 18 through 25 register with the U.S. Selective Service Systems before receiving aid. This may be done online at

  • Students will be asked to provide tax information from the previous year (for example, if attending in 2016, one would need 2015 tax data.) Students must also provide a Social Security Number, W-2 information, demographic information, and other info.

  • In order for the FAFSA information to be sent to the Financial Aid Office here at UM-Flint, students must also include the UM-Flint school code (002327) on the application.

When should I file?

The FAFSA for the upcoming academic year is released on January 1st of that year. Due to the fact that certain aid is offered on a first-come, first-served basis, students should fill it out before February 15th as this will ensure the information will be filed before the March 1st priority deadline.

What's Next?

After the FAFSA has been processed, students will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via email (if an email address was provided) or via U.S. mail. Review the report carefully to make sure all of the information is accurate. If there are errors, corrections should be made via the FAFSA web site. If a SAR is not received or if you have questions about it, call the federal processor at (800) 4-FED-AID or (800) 433-3243. Once the aid award letter is received, students must then accept the aid offered.

If you're having issues with the FAFSA process, contact us for help.