In accordance with federal regulations set forth by The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, a summary of consumer information must be made available to all enrolled students at the University of Michigan - Flint.

View consumer information provided by the university.

If you need assistance obtaining information listed or you would like a paper copy, contact us at (810) 762-3444.

Cost of Attendance

Information regarding the estimated cost of attendance (including tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses) can be found on the cost of attendance web page.

For actual tuition and fee charges please contact the Cashier's/Student Accounts Office.

Need-based/non-need based financial aid

All types of federal, state, and university aid (both need and non-need based) that are available are listed on the Types of Aid page.  This includes loans, grants, and work study.

Aid Distribution

For information on how aid is distributed, please contact us at (810) 762-3444.

Rights and Responsibilities

The official listing of rights and responsibilities can be found in the Required Reading area of the financial aid web site under Terms and Conditions.

Aid Disbursement

Financial aid is disbursed (released) to students in different ways and at different time frames depending on the type of aid and other factors.  Information on when and how aid is disbursed can be found on the When and How Aid will Pay web page.

Terms and conditions of employment that is part of financial aid package

View the Work-Study page for info on aid in the form of employment.

Loan Repayment

For information on loans and loan repayment please contact us at (810) 762-3444.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue receiving federal aid. If a student fails to maintain standing consistent with the school's SAP policy it will result in the loss of aid eligibility. SAP monitors overall attempted and completed rate of all coursework as well as 150% maximum time to complete a degree.  For more information see the SAP web page.

Withdrawing from classes

Students may withdraw from the University (i.e., drop all courses) up to and including the last day of classes without petitioning the Academic Standards Committee. A notation to that effect is made on the transcript.

A disenrollment form must be completed when a student drops all classes during a particular semester. If a student has registered early for future semesters, a form must be completed for each semester from which the student wishes to disenroll. The disenrollment form is available in the Registrar’s Office; the effective date of the withdrawal is the date the form is received by the Registrar’s Office.

For more information on how to withdraw or policies regarding withdrawing please contact the Registrar's Office.

Withdrawing from classes also impacts an financial aid received for that semester.  Information on the impact of withdrawing/disenrolling can be found on the Disenrolling from the University web site.

Study Abroad

Some financial aid and scholarships are available for University sponsored study abroad trips or for study abroad trips arranged by an individual student.

Students who enroll in a study abroad program (which has been approved for transfer credit by UM-Flint) can be considered as enrolled at UM-Flint for the purpose of applying for financial aid.

If a student is planning to study abroad it is recommended that they schedule an appointment with a financial aid officer as early as possible.  The appointment will discuss costs, possible funding, and time lines.

The International Center offers study abroad scholarships for faculty led global programs.  These scholarships are offered each year and the application deadline is typically in early January.

View more info on the Study Abroad program.

Scholarship Fraud

According to the Federal Trade Commission, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use the following lines to sell their scholarship services; students should avoid any scholarship service or website that says the following:

"This scholarship is guaranteed or your money back."
"You can't get this information anywhere else."
"I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship."
"We'll do all the work."
"This scholarship will cost some money."
"You've been selected by a 'national foundation' to receive a scholarship" or "You're a finalist" in a contest you never entered.

If you believe you've been the victim of scholarship fraud, wish to file a complaint, or want more information, call 1 (877) FTC-HELP or see On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act to enhance protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud.

Who to contact with questions/concerns

A student may contact the Office of Financial Aid with any question regarding financial aid or related topics.

Office of Financial Aid
University of Michigan-Flint
277 Pavilion
Flint, MI 48502-1950

Phone: (810) 762-3444
Fax: (810) 766-6757

Other questions may be referred to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management.  That office will be able to direct you to the appropriate contact.

Office of the Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management
University of Michigan-Flint
234 University Pavilion
Flint, MI 48502-1950

Phone: (810) 762-5723