Applicants must establish their eligibility to apply for financial aid by meeting several general requirements

  • The applicant must be admitted to a degree-granting program.*

  • The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or hold a Permanent Resident Visa.

  • The applicant must be registered with Selective Service (if required).

  • The applicant must be making satisfactory academic progress.

  • If the applicant is enrolled at more than one institution the applicant CANNOT receive financial aid from both institutions.

  • The applicant must not be in default of any federal educational loans, or owe any refunds on federal grants received at post-secondary institutions.

An applicant in default on any Federal Student Loan (including:  Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan, Direct Loan,  PLUS or Graduate PLUS Loan) or who owes a refund on a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG), or SMART Grant at any institution is not considered eligible for aid. The applicant must provide proof that the indebtedness and/or default status has been removed before the applicant can be considered for additional assistance. If an applicant owes any type of past debt to the University, then the applicant must resolve the financial obligation to the University.

Guest students, dual enrolled students, Genesee Early College students, and students who are non-candidates for degree are not eligible to receive aid.

*Two exceptions to the degree-granting program requirement:

  1. Students that must take certain pre-requisite course work to qualify for admission into one of our graduate programs, can get a Direct Loan for up to 12 consecutive months while completing that preparatory course work. The student must be enrolled at least half-time, and must meet the usual federal student financial aid eligibility requirements.

  2. Students enrolled at least half-time in the teacher certification program can potentially receive, Federal Work-Study, a Direct Loan, or an application can be made by a parent for a PLUS Loan, while you’re enrolled in that program.  Please note that students in the teacher certification program are considered undergraduate students.