The purpose of graduate Lifelong Learning status is to permit and facilitate access to UM-Flint graduate courses to students not formally admitted to a UM-Flint graduate degree program.
- Students who have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited institution and wish to take graduate courses without being formally admitted to a UM-Flint degree program are considered graduate Lifelong Learning students.
- Graduate Lifelong Learning students must provide proof of bachelor’s degree.*
- Instructor and/or program director approval is required for each course the student wishes to elect.
- Prerequisites, grading standards, class assignments, and attendance requirements of a course apply to all students in that course, including graduate Lifelong Learning and guest students.
- Colleges, departments, schools, and programs determine rules of access to their courses and may limit enrollment of graduate Lifelong Learning and guest students in certain courses.
- Graduate Lifelong Learning students are not eligible for most sources of financial aid.
- Graduate Lifelong Learning students who wish to be admitted to a UM-Flint graduate degree program in the future must apply for that program using the Graduate Application for Admission in accordance with established application deadlines. Courses taken as a graduate Lifelong Learning student do not guarantee admission to a program.
- In general, up to six (6) graduate credit hours elected as a graduate Lifelong Learning student may apply toward a UM-Flint graduate degree. In certain circumstances, some programs may accept up to nine (9) credits. The student must receive admission to a degree program, and the program director must determine that the courses are acceptable.
- Graduate Lifelong Learning admission is for one term only. Students who wish to enroll in a future term as a graduate Lifelong Learning student must submit another Application for Graduate Lifelong Learning or Guest Admission and receive course approvals.
*A student in his/her final semester of undergraduate study at UM-Flint who wishes to elect a graduate course for the following semester as a graduate Lifelong Learning student must submit a memo from his/her academic advisor stating when all degree requirements for the baccalaureate degree will be completed as well as a signed Statement of Understanding.
How to Apply
The process of applying as a Lifelong Learning graduate student is quite simple. Visit our Applying for Graduate Lifelong Learning Admission page for details.