What Sets UM-Flint's English Language and Literature (MA) Program Apart?
- You may choose to pursue a general degree or to concentrate in Writing and Rhetoric or Literature. The concentration option consists of twelve credits in the chosen area.
- Our program is multi-disciplinary and encourages a broad study of historical, theoretical, and methodological research of texts in literature, writing, composition studies, linguistics, and English pedagogy.
- Our courses entail critical engagement with language, texts, and theory through original research, presentations, and discussion.
- Classes are held on-campus in the evenings, and some online.
- The program requires 30 credit hours, typically completed within two years on a part-time basis
- The program structure provides an opportunity to tailor your learning to meet your unique personal and professional goals.
- There are 5 core courses:
- ENG 500 - Intro to English Studies plus a course in each: Theory, Literature, Linguistics and Writing
The remaining 5 courses are electives.
- Our courses approach English studies from diverse perspectives yet share a seminar-based approach and a goal of fostering independent, lifelong learners.
- You will learn from active and engaged scholars who are curious, reflective, innovative, accessible and compassionate.
- Our alumni are working in fields such as marketing and communications, social media, copy editing, K-12 education and higher education.