GSRA Eligibility Criteria
- GSRAs must be admitted to a graduate program with standard or conditional admission. Any conditions of admission must be fulfilled before an appointment can begin. Those admitted on probation are not eligible to apply until 12 graduate credit hours have been completed and a cumulative GPA of 5.0 or better has been achieved.
- GSRAs must be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours of graduate-level courses in each semester of appointment if appointed for Fall and/or Winter semesters, or, with the written approval of the student's faculty advisor, not less than five (5) credit hours consisting of not less than two (2) courses relevant to the student's degree program. GSRAs in Spring and/or Summer terms have no specific enrollment requirement. Exception: If the student is enrolled in the semester in which the degree will be granted, the student must enroll for at least the number of credits required to complete the degree, or if no more credits are needed, at least meet the university minimum registration requirement of one credit (i.e., If the person is at the thesis stage but doesn’t need to register for the thesis course, he/she would have to enroll in at least 1 credit to get an assistantship).
- GSRAs must be in good standing as a student in a graduate degree program and maintain a minimum grade point average of 5.0 (B) in each semester of the appointment.
- GSRAs must be performing research that is related to their degree program. If the research is not performed specifically for their degree program or for a faculty member in their program’s academic department, the GSRA must consult with the Dean of Graduate Programs to ensure that the research will contribute to the student’s academic experience at UM-Flint.
- Lifelong Learning graduate students and graduate guest students are not eligible for GSRA positions.
- Recommendation for appointment as a GSRA must be approved by the graduate program director or the student’s academic advisor.