Guest Students

Graduate students at other colleges and universities can be permitted to take UM-Flint graduate courses without being formally admitted to a graduate degree program.  There are several ways a graduate student at another institution can take graduate courses as a guest student at UM-Flint.  Please read the section that best applies to you.

Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Study (MIGS)

The University of Michigan participates in the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Study (MIGS) program. The MIGS Program creates exchange possibilities for graduate students currently enrolled in Michigan universities. Students in good standing at one institution may take advantage of course and research opportunities offered at another institution, provided that such opportunities are not available on the home campus. Students in master’s or specialist degree programs may enroll for six hours at a host institution while doctoral students may enroll for up to nine hours.  How to apply

Rackham students from UM-Ann Arbor or UM-Dearborn

Rackham students from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan-Dearborn  may elect a course(s) in a UM-Flint Rackham program using the Rackham Graduate Guest application for UM-Flint.  Students must obtain permission from their program chair on their home campus as well as approval from the program director of the course they wish to take on the Flint campus.

Upon completion of course work at the Flint campus, the student will request an academic transcript form the Flint campus to be sent to the appropriate office at Ann Arbor or Dearborn for the credit to be evaluated.

Students must obtain, complete, and submit a UM-Flint Rackham Graduate Guest Application each semester they wish to enroll at the Flint campus.  How to apply

General Guest Student Status

Students who have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited institution, are currently graduate students attending another institution and wish to take graduate courses not necessarily leading to a UM-Flint degree, and who cannot participate in the MIGS or Rackham guest programs (described above) are considered general graduate guest students.  How to apply

Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC)

The University of Michigan participates in this consortium of the Big Ten universities plus the University of Chicago.  The CIC sponsors the Traveling Scholar Program which enables doctoral students to spend up to a full academic year pursuing specialized courses of study, researching library collections, and working in laboratories and facilities at other CIC institutions with no change in registration procedures from their home university or additional tuition. Traveling Scholars pay regular fees to their home institution, where they remain registered. Visits are limited to two semesters or three quarters, and graduate credits earned at the host university are automatically accepted by the home university. The application is available from the Rackham Graduate School website.