Applying as a Guest Student
If you wish to be a graduate guest student and you are not participating in the MIGS program or currently enrolled in a Rackham program at UM-Ann Arbor or UM-Dearborn, complete the Application for Graduate Lifelong Learning or Guest Admission and submit it together with the following supporting documents to the University of Michigan-Flint, Office of Graduate Programs, 303 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI 48502-1950 (or fax to 810-766-6789):
- A transcript or diploma with bachelor’s or master’s degree posted.
- Approval from your advisor (via a memo or email to the Office of Graduate Programs) in the program in which you enrolled or admitted.
Once admitted to the university, you must contact the academic department or program that offers the course(s) to get a registration override. Once the override is issued, you may register for the course(s).
Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Study (MIGS) Students
Guest students from another public Michigan college or university that participates in the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Study program may apply using the MIGS Application following this process:
- The student and his/her academic advisor decide if the course(s) are appropriate to the program of study and are not available at the home university. The advisor discusses the plan with appropriate faculty members at UM-Flint.
- The appropriate UM-Flint department is consulted to ensure that space is available for enrollment. The instructor or program director sends a memo or e-mails the approval to the Office of Graduate Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org). The approval must include the name of the course, course number, and the term for which the course is approved for election.
- The student should obtain signatures from the student's academic advisor and home institution's MIGS Liaison Officer on the MIGS application.
- The student sends the application to the University of Michigan-Flint, Office of Graduate Programs, 303 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI 48502-1950 (or fax to 810-766-6789). The Office of Graduate Programs will assist MIGS students in obtaining the Flint faculty, department chairperson, and University of Michigan-Flint MIGS Liaison Officer signatures.
Guest Students from Ann Arbor or UM-Dearborn
For Ann Arbor and Dearborn Rackham students electing a course(s) on the Flint campus:
- The student obtains a memo and signature on a UM-Flint Rackham Graduate Guest Application from the Ann Arbor or Dearborn Program Chair permitting him/her to take a course(s) on the Flint campus. Specific courses may be indicated (if course specific, it should include course number, section number, credit hours, and term), or the chair may allow whatever the student wants, usually specifying the number of hours for which the student is allowed to register.
- The student takes the memo and the UM-Flint Rackham Graduate Guest Application to the department(s) on the Flint campus to obtain permission to elect the course(s). The faculty signature granting approval to elect the course(s) is required on the guest application. The student sends the completed UM-Flint Rackham Graduate Guest Application to the University of Michigan-Flint, Office of Graduate Programs, 303 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI 48502-1950 (or fax to 810-766-6789).
The Office of Graduate Programs will assist Rackham guest students in obtaining the Flint faculty signature if requested.
Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Students
For doctoral students participating in the CIC program on another participating Big Ten university campus or the University of Chicago. The application is available from the Rackham Graduate School website. Contact the Director of Graduate Admissions at UM-Flint for assistance at (810) 762-3171.