Graduate Certificate in Business Program
- No GMAT exam required for admission
- Prepares individuals with management and leadership potential to become leaders in their fields and professions
- Courses are offered in two delivery modes to fit your lifestyle: Traditional, on-campus courses and NetPlus!, mixed-mode courses (online with on-campus sessions every six weeks)
- You will be taking courses with MBA students, expanding your network, and experiencing the excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarship of our MBA faculty.
- All successfully completed certificate courses are transferrable to the UM-Flint MBA program if you apply and are admitted to same.
The School of Management is accredited by AACSB International–The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide. Member institutions that earn accreditation confirm their commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review system. AACSB accreditation is considered to be the hallmark of excellence in management education. (www.aacsb.edu)
Admission to the Graduate Certificate in Business program is open to qualified graduates with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Applicants should have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better in their bachelor's degree. The applicant must also have completed a college-level math, statistics, or quantitative course to be eligible for the program. The GMAT is not required for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Business program. Students with a business bachelor's degree are encouraged to pursue the MBA program.
To be considered for admission, submit the following to the Office of Graduate Programs, 251 Thompson Library:
• $55 application fee (non-refundable)
• Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
• Statement of Purpose: a one-page, typed response to the following question: “What are your career objectives and how will a Graduate Certificate in Business contribute to accomplishing these goals?”
• Resume, including work experience and extra-curricular activities
• International students must submit additional documentation. Visit www.umflint.edu/graduateprograms/admissions/international-students.page for details.
- Fall Semester: August 1
- Winter Semester: November 1
- Spring Semester: February 1 - NetPlus! only
- Summer Semester: May 1 - NetPlus! only
The certificate program is intended primarily for individuals with degrees in areas other than business, who are interested in learning some basic concepts of business or are considering the eventual completion of an MBA. (Students with a bachelor’s in business are encouraged to pursue the MBA program.)
Requirements (12 credits). Four from:
ACC 521 - Accounting for Managers.
MGT 531 - Marketing Management.
MGT 541 - Organizational Behavior.
MGT 551 - Business Economics.
MGT 561 - Financial Management.
MGT 571 - Operations Management.
Students may not waive or transfer courses into certificate program.