Tuition & Financial Aid

Tuition Costs

Please refer to the Graduate Programs website for current tuition and fee rates.

Tuition Due Dates

Please refer to the Cashier's/Student Accounts website for tuition due dates.

Tuition Payment Plan

A 3-month Payment Plan is offered for the Fall and Winter semesters, and a 2-month Payment Plan is offered for the Spring and Summer semesters.  These plans give you the opportunity to pay your tuition and fee charges over a 3-month period for Fall and Winter and a 2-month period for Spring and Summer.  Please visit the Payment Plan for further information.

Applying for Financial Aid

In order to qualify for financial aid, please follow the following procedures:

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to list the University of Michigan-Flint's federal school code 002327.  This code must be listed in order for the University of Michigan-Flint to receive the FAFSA results.  A FAFSA or renewal FAFSA must be completed for each new academic year.
  2. Students filing the FAFSA by March 1st are given consideration for all available federal, state and University of Michigan-Flint financial aid.  Students that intend to enroll for the spring and summer sessions need to submit a spring/summer application available online from mid-December to mid-February.
  3. After the FAFSA has been processed, students will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via email (if an email address was provided) or via U.S. mail.  Review the report carefully to make sure all of the information is accurate.  If there are errors, corrections should be made via the FAFSA web site.  If a SAR is not received or if you have questions about it, call the federal processor at (800) 4-FED-AID or (800) 433-3243.
  4. Review the Financial Aid checklist for UM-Flint.


Graduate student grant support is available for graduate students admitted to or enrolled in a University of Michigan-Flint graduate program who demonstrate financial need as determined by filing the FAFSA.  Awards are made to Michigan residents who are enrolled at least half-time (5 credit hours).

The FAFSA needs to be filed by the following dates for graduate grant consideration:

Semester FAFSA Deadline
Winter Semester November 1
Spring/Summer Semester March 1
Fall Semester June 1

Please note you do not have to apply for the Graduate Student Grant.  Funds are available on a first come, first serve basis to students who show financial need as determined by the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of the FAFSA.

Graduate Student Research Assistantships

The Graduate Student Research Assistantship (GSRA) program at the University of Michigan-Flint is intended to provide financial support for the academically-related research activities of active UM-Flint graduate students.  A GSRA is an appointment which may be provided to a student in good standing in a UM-Flint graduate degree program who performs personal research (including thesis preparation) or who assists UM-Flint faculty performing research that is relevant to his or her academic goals.  Appointments to the GSRA program at UM-Flint are made for one or two semesters/terms and are contingent upon the recommendation of an academic department or program and the approval of the Dean of Graduate Programs. Please refer to the GSRA Guidelines for additional information.


Scholarships, which are based on academic performance, are available for graduate students admitted to or enrolled in a University of Michigan-Flint graduate program who meet the criteria.  Some graduate student scholarships are applicable to students in any graduate program; others are available to students in particular programs.  In most cases, scholarships are awarded for the fall and winter semesters.

Before you can apply, you must be admitted to a graduate program.  After you are accepted, you apply for scholarships online via SIS between mid-December and June 1.  You will apply for all university scholarships with this single online application. Please refer to the Graduate Programs website for further information.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal law establishes that all students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward their degree to remain eligible for financial aid.  Graduate students at the University of Michigan-Flint must meet all three of the following requirements:

  • Students may receive financial aid for the first 59 credit hours attempted as a graduate.  (Transfer students will be evaluated by adding their transfer credit hours to their attempted credit hours, allowing them to receive aid for the balance of the 59 credit hours.)
  • Students must receive a passing grade in at least 67% of the credit hours in which they attempt on a cumulative basis.
  • Students must maintain a 5.0 (on an 8.0 scale) for the duration of their eligibility.  This standard will be monitored and enforced as described in the catalog regarding academic policies on academic standing.

Please refer to the Office of Financial Aid for additional information.