University of Michigan Residency Requirements

If you answer "yes" to the question, "Are you a resident of Michigan?" and any of the following circumstances apply, you must file an Application for Resident Classification and be approved to qualify for in-state tuition:

  • You live outside the State of Michigan for any purpose, including, but not limited to, education, volunteer activities, travel, or employment;
  • you attended or graduated from a college outside the State of Michigan;
  • you lived or worked outside the State of Michigan at any time within the last three years;
  • you are not a U.S. citizen;
  • your spouse, partner, or parent is in Michigan as a nonresident student, medical resident, fellow or for military assignment or other temporary employment;
  • you are 24 years of age or younger and a parent lives outside the State of Michigan;
  • you are 24 years of age or younger and attended or graduated from a high school outside the state of Michigan;
  • you attended or graduated from an out­-of­-state high school and have been involved in educational pursuits for the majority of time since high school graduation;
  • you attended any University of Michigan campus (Ann Arbor, Dearborn, or Flint) as a nonresident.

Residency Applications can be obtained from the Residency Classification Office, University of Michigan Office of the Registrar, 1210 LSA Building, 500 S. State St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382, phone (734) 764-1400. The University’s Residency Classification Guidelines can be found on the web at

The deadline dates for submitting an Application for Resident Classification apply to the term for which residency is sought and are as follows: September 30 for Fall Term, January 31 for Winter Term, July 31 for Spring, Spring/Summer, and Summer Terms. Applications must be received in the Residency Classification Office by 5 p.m. on the deadline date. Applicants who do not file by the deadline will be responsible for paying nonresident tuition.