Email Encryption at UM-Flint
What is Email Encryption?
- Email encryption is a secure way to send emails that contain private personal data about yourself, coworkers, patients, and students.
What Types of Encryption are Available?
- Here at UM-Flint we have made multiple types of encryption available to our faculty and staff members. These types include internal messaging within the @umflint.edu domain- using Outlook, Mac Mail, and Webmail – as well as external messaging from a @umflint.edu user to a non umflint user.
How do I get an encryption certificate? (Mac and Windows Users)
- Contact the ITS Helpdesk and place a work ticket to have Security Services assist you with creating and using email encryption. After placing a ticket it could take up to 3 business days to receive your certificate and be ready to send and receive encrypted emails.
Where do I Find More Information?
- For more information on how to use the types encryption here at UM-Flint please reference the information below. If you have any questions or need any further assistance beyond the basics provided below please contact the ITS HelpDesk at 810-766-6804 or email@example.com to set up a meeting with a member of Security Services.
Sending an encrypted email using Entourage:
- Open a new message
- Write your message as you would normally
- Click Message in the top toolbar
- Click Security
- Click Encrypt Message
- Click Send
- Click yes on the message “Do you want to search the LDAP server for the user”
Encryption for Windows:
- To send a message with Outlook 2010 (Images to Come)
- Type the message as you normally would
- Click on the Option tab at the top of your message
- Click the Arrow Box in the bottom right of the More Options Section
- Click Security Settings
- Select Encrypt Message Contents and Attachments
- Click OK
- Click Close
- Click Send
- To send a message with Outlook 2007
Encryption for Web Access:
***To use email encryption for web access you need to be using Internet Explorer version 7 or above ***
- Setting Up Web Access for Encryption (Needed For First Use Only)
- Click Options (found in the top right of the screen)
- Click See All Opitons…
- Click Settings (found on the left of the screen)
- Click S/MIME
- Click Download the S/MIME Control
- Click Okay/Run/Yes on any windows that pop up
- Once all of the boxes go away the S/MIME control should be installed
- Using Email Encryption
- Open a new message and type your message as you normally would.
- Click the Encrypt button, it is an envelope with a blue padlock.
- Click Send
- External encryption is used for sending messages outside of the @umflint.edu domain. To encrypt something to send outside of the university domain you will need to be using the outlook application, not web access.