How to use Personal Folders and Auto Archive in Outlook
Before You Begin:
Please note that this guide is meant for use with Outlook 2003 and may not be completely compatible with older versions of Outlook.
More steps to come in the near future.
Create a Personal Folder:
Follow the steps below to create a personal folder in your Outlook client.
- Select File got to New then select Outlook Data File.
- Select Personal Folders File or Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File. If you use multiple computers and use 2003 in at least one of them, then choose Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders.
- Select the location you would like to save the folder to and select “Ok.” Please note that the default location to save to is C:\Documents and Settings\Uniqname\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
- The next window will ask to name the personal folder, and in the “Name” field type in the name you would like to appear on the personal folder. The default name is “Personal Folder.”
- You will now see that you now have a Personal Folder listed in your folder List.
From here you can save messages, or drag and drop messages into this new “Personal Folder”.
Open a Personal Folder:
Follow these instructions to open a pre-existing personal folder.
- Go to “File” and select “Open” then select “Outlook Data File”.
- A dialog box will appear where you can navigate to the location of the saved Personal Folder. when you have located it, select it and click “Ok”.
The Personal Folder will now appear in your Folder List.
Backing up a folder to a Personal Folder:
Follow these instructions to backup a pre-existing folder to a Personal Folder.
- Go to “File” and select “Import and Export”.
- Select “Export to a file” and click Next.
- Select “Personal Folder File (.pst)” and click Next.
- Choose the folder you would like to back up. If the folder contains subfolder, and you would like back those up as well select “Include Subfolders” and then Click Next.Browse to a location where you would like to save the backup.If you do not select a different location than default the folder will be save here.
C:\Documents and Settings\Uniqname\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
- Select Finish.
- Name the Personal Folder in the Name Field and click “Ok”.
Your data is now backed up into a Personal Folder.
Enabling Auto Archive:
These instructions will walk you through turning on Auto Archive in your Outlook Client.
Warning – Auto Archive has the potential to delete needed email messages. Please use it at your own risk.
- Got to “Tools” and select “Options”.
- Click the Other tab and click Auto Archive.
- Check the box that says “Run Auto Archive Every:” to enable it. Tell it how many days it should wait until it runs, and specify the options you would like and where backed up data should be saved below it.
- Finally click “Ok”