Configuring Mac OSX to Access the MWireless Wireless Network
Before you Begin:
This network has been tested and proven compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
What are all these networks?
- Every Wi-Fi device owned by UM-Flint affiliates should connect to MWireless (with the exception of game consoles). If devices have other UM-Flint Wi-Fi networks remembered such as Setup for MWireless or MGuest please forget them and connect to MWireless ONLY.
- Setup for MWireless
- This is only to help people with Laptops (not phones or tablets) get automatically configured properly to connect to MWireless. If you have a university owned laptop (such as PT student issued laptops) DO NOT use this.
- Every Wi-Fi device owned by NON-UM-Flint affiliates can gain one day access to Wi-Fi. Also, once game consoles are registered, they can connect to MGuest for one year. Game consoles can never connect to MWireless because of the advanced security used.
Some users will have trouble connecting even if these steps are followed correctly. This typically happens on older computers with out of date wireless card drivers. We have noticed this issue with Intel and Atheros wireless cards. The solution to this is to update the wireless drivers from the wireless card manufacturer’s website, not from Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc… You can determine what wireless card you have using the device manager. You may also want to search the web for instructions on how to complete this process.
Connecting to MWireless
To connect your personal laptop to MWireless please connect to Setup for MWireless, open a browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), and follow the prompts provided.
If Setup for MWireless does not work for your device please try the steps below.
Other Options to Connect to MWireless:
Students or Faculty/Staff who would prefer to watch a video with setup instructions can do so by clicking play on the respective video below. If the video or steps below do not work for you please visit one of our Helpdesk locations for assistance.
Connecting to the MWireless Network
- In the top bar click the wireless icon. This is typically found in the top right near the clock.
- Click Join Other Network
- In the new dialog box next to Network Name type MWireless
- For the security type select WPA2 Enterprise
- Next to Username type your email@example.com
- Next to password type your LAN password
- Check Remember this Network
- Click Join
- In the Verify Certificate message box click show certificate
- Confirm that the box next to Always trust *.umflint.edu is checked
- Click Continue
- Type your computer password in the new message box
- Click Update Settings to make changes to the Certificate Trust Settings.
- Wait while the computer connects.
- Your computer should now be connected to MWireless.