Saving and Installing Sophos Anti-Virus for Macintosh:
- Go To http://safecomputing.umich.edu/antivirus
- Select the appropriate Sophos Anti-Virus program for your computer.
- Login using your Uniqname and your Kerberos Password
*******At this point if you get a message that there is no software for you to download please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-766-6804 or email@example.com to place a ticket to have this corrected. *********
- After logging in a dmg file will download to your computer.
- Double-click the dmg file to begin installation.
- In the install window that opens, click Continue.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation. When it asks you where to install the files make sure that your startup volume is selected (it should be selected by default) before clicking Continue.
- After clicking Install you will be prompted to log in. In order to continue the installation you must be an administrator on the Mac. If you do not have administrator rights, contact someone who does to complete the installation.
- When a message appears saying the software was successfully installed, click Close.
Configuring Sophos Anti-Virus for the Proxy:
This process is only required for machines on-campus. If you are setting up Sophos on your home Mac, you do not need to complete this section.
- On the Apple menu bar click on the Sophos Anti-Virus Icon.
- Open Preferences
- In the Preferences Window:
- Unlock Window (bottom left corner).
- Choose AutoUpdate.
- Choose Use system proxy settings.
- Lock Window.
Operating Sophos Anti-Virus:
To scan a whole drive:
- Open Sophos Anti-Virus by clicking on the Shield Icon in the menu bar and selecting Open Sophos Anti-Virus.
- Select the drives you wish to scan by clicking on the circle next to them (selected drives will have a green circle next to them). Make sure all drives are selected that you wish to scan and then press the Play button (green triangle) to begin the scan.
- Once the scan is complete Sophos will report the results of the scan in the area below the white space.
- Quit from Sophos Anti-Virus after reviewing the results of the scan.