Configuring Outlook 2010/2013 on Windows 7
Before You Begin:
If you are setting this up at home, you must be connected to the VPN for the initial setup. Please follow the instructions located here, Using the VPN at UM-Flint, to connect your computer to the network required for initial outlook setup.
Configuring Outlook for your University Mail
- Click the Windows Orb.
- Click Control Panel.
- Make sure that Category is selected in the View By tab, then click User Accounts.
- Click Mail.
- Click Email Accounts.
- Click New
- Make sure the option marked E-mail Account is checked and click Next.
- Check Manual setup or additional server types and press Next.
- Choose Microsoft Exchange Server or compatible service and press Next.
- In the box named Server, input email.umflint.edu.
- In the box named User Name, input your lastname, firstname. Then click Check Names. If you have the correct server address, username, and are connected to the VPN, the server address will be underlined and your username will change to your email@example.com and will be underlined. If this is not what occurs, make sure that all information was inputted correctly and that you are connected to VPN.
- Click More Settings (shown in the image above.) In the box that opens up(shown below), click the tab that reads Connection.
- Make sure the box named Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP is checked and click the button Exchange Proxy Settings…
- In the box that appears type in email.umflint.edu in the box labeled https://
- Make sure that the box named Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal name in their certificate: is checked. In the text box below this type in msstd:email.umflint.edu.
- Make sure that all other boxes are checked, and the options below Proxy authentication settings should read Basic Authentication. Then click OK.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
- If the server address and username were inputted correctly before and are underlined click the Next Button.
- The following window will appear asking you to input your login credentials. In the box labeled Username, input your firstname.lastname@example.org. In the box labeled Password, input your LAN password. Make sure the box labeled Remember my credentials is checked and click OK.
- If this box now appears, click OK.
- You’re all set! Your account has now been setup on your computer. Click Finish, and the dialog box for email setup should close.
- You may now close any additional windows open from the outlook account setup. Open Outlook, and within a few minutes all of your emails should become available.