Microsoft Outlook 2007 – 101: Customization/Options
BasicsAs most people can tell, especially from reading the previous articles of this series, Microsoft Outlook is a huge program, and as such it is overwhelmingly customizeable. This quicknote will give a basic explanation of where all of the customizations are and how to change them.
All of the customizations discussed in this quicknote can be found by going to the tools menu and clicking options.
- Junk Email – Allows you to configure how junk mail is handled. You can specify the strictness of junk mail settings, safe senders, safe recipients, and blocked senders.
- Options – Sets default mail settings for basic viewing of emails. Allows you to set when emails are considered read, how emails should be saved, and how the basics of the email should be formatted.
- Allows you to be more specific for how the calendar is displayed. You can specify what day of the week is considered the first day of the wek
- Language settings for the calendar can be set
- Only allows you to configure for completed tasks and overdue tasks
- Contacts and Notes
- Contact Options – Allows you to configure the basic display options for contacts
- Journal Options – Allows you to record aspects of email and other programs for journal entries
- Note Options – Allows for color/font customization
- Refines how Outlook shoud search through your emails/contacts/calendar/tasks
- Configures messaging notifications to mobiile devices
- Email Accounts
- Configures what email accounts are used in Microsoft Outlook. Provides more advanced settings for address books, internet calendars, sharepoint lists, and rss feeds
- Alters how your mail is synched with the email server.
- Data Files
- Allows you to specify where outlook settings, archived emails, and misc data files are saved on your computer.
- Basic dial-up specific settings for Microsoft Outlook
This Options pane, allows you configure advanced settings for how emails are created. Depending on how your emails are created and configured in this dialog, you may or may not be able to send emails with embedded images. Signatures can also be altered in this pane [signatures were discussed in more detail previously in this article series].
Quite simply, you can set how Microsoft Outlook runs the spelling and grammar checking for your emails/appointments/etc.Other
- You can configure the default programs for when you open attachments from withinn Microsoft Outlook
- Allows you to set how often emails should be taken off of your email account and saved locally to the computer. Use this feature with caution, on many of the computers on campus that are routinely re-imaged, you may lose all of the emails that get auto-archived.
- Outlook Panes
- Configures basic settings for the three main panes of the Outlook program
- Person Names
- This integrates with the Microsoft Office Communicator application. Allows you to see whether people associated with your emails (To, From, CC, BCC, etc) are available for chatting through Microsoft Office Communicator.