What is a Blog?
A blog is a webpage comprised of usually short, frequently updated items and web links. Blogging is a publishing tool that can be used for many purposes such as: traditional journals, personal journals, group discussions, and many combinations between.
Who can make a blog?
Blogging is for everyone; any one can create a blog using one of the many free blog hosting sites. ITS provides the University of Michigan- Flint faculty/staff with free blog hosting via http://blogs.umflint.edu.
How can I make a blog hosted by UM-Flint?
Any Faculty, Staff, and Students may visit http://blogs.umflint.edu to create a blog. The number of blogs that you can create at this site is not limited, but you should only make a blog if you intend to keep it up to date.
To Make a Blog
- Navigate to http://blogs.umflint.edu
- Click Create a Blog and follow the steps.
This will be prompt you to enter the name of your blog and Voila, You’re Blogging!
Logging into Your Blog:
- In the address bar of your browser type the web address for your blog with /wp-admin added to the end.
- Example: If your blog address was http://blogs.umflint.edu/myblog to login to your blog you would go to http://blogs.umflint.edu/myblog/wp-admin.
To make additional blogs:
- Return to your blog and login.
- Click UM-Flint Blogs at the top of left of the screen.
- This page will provide you a list of all of your current blogs as well as an option to create more blogs.
DO NOT try to create a new username because it will not work. If you click on the “Create blog link” before logging in, you will be asked to create a username; return to the blogs homepage and log in, then try to make a new blog.
Where can I find more information?
If you would like to join the wonderful world of blogging, but need a little more information, there is plenty available.
For instructions on creating/editing a blog try browsing some of the documentation available from WordPress which can be found at: <http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started_with_WordPress>.
- The section which applies to users is “Posting in WordPress”.
You can also visit the following UM-Flint pages for assistance with your blog.