What Are All These Passwords For?
- As a student or employee of the University of Michigan-Flint, you are required to use a number of passwords in order to access various computing services. It can be difficult to keep these passwords straight, so this quicknote explains what each password is used for and who can help you with them.
Never let anyone else login with your account
- This is the most commonly used password on our campus.
- LAN stands for Local Area Network. Please review the Technology policies and guidelines at http://www.umflint.edu/its/policies/home.page.
The LAN password is used in the following situations:
- Logging into any computer on campus.
- Accessing email: Webmail http://email.umflint.edu.
- Logging into Blackboard for online classes: http://bb.umflint.edu.
- Logging into SIS for course registration, grades, financial aide, and transcripts: https://sis.umflint.edu
- Logging into to the Wireless from a personal laptop.
- Using the Library Proxy Server to access library periodical or electronic reserves.
- LAN passwords are not used for the Mirlyn or Inter Library Loan program please contact the library for assistance with logging into these programs.
If students, faculty, or staff have difficulty with their LAN password, the Helpdesk is able to answer questions or change this password for you. **Photo ID will be required.**
Ann Arbor (Kerberos) Password:
- This password is usually associated with any computing service involving our Ann Arbor campus. Ann Arbor passwords can be referred to as Kerberos passwords; they are one and the same. It is used in the following situations:
- Accessing and editing your U-M Online Directory entry.
- Library resources including MIRLYN, MIRLYNweb, and the Inter Library Loan program.
- Accessing M-Stores in Ann Arbor (employees only).
- Other resources available on UM-Ann Arbor websites.
- Any difficulties with Ann Arbor (Kerberos) passwords must be addressed in the Helpdesk. If you need do not know your current Ann Arbor (Kerberos) password, you must come to the Helpdesk in person with photo ID.
Banner Password (UM-Flint Faculty & Staff only):
- Programs such as Banner use their own passwords which do not have any connections to other services. This program is typically only used by faculty and staff.
- An Access Request from and training for Banner must be completed before access can be granted to the banner system. The training can be found at: http://www.umflint.edu/its/services/home.page?#Banner.
- Banner: Initial ID is your uniqname. You will receive an email within 2-3 days after completing the training notifying you on where to go to get your Banner password. When going to pick up your banner password please be sure to bring a photo ID.
- For help with your banner password you can contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-766-6804.