Student and Alumni Services
Computer Account Information
As a student at the University of Michigan-Flint, you are issued a UMID, a Uniqname, a LAN (Local Area Network) password, and a UMICH (Ann Arbor or Kerberos) password. These items grant you access to the various computing services offered by the university. You can view your computer account online using the Student Information Services (SIS). All you need to do is login to SIS, click on the Personal Information menu, and click My Campus Computer Account. The first time you view your student account, you will be asked to set your initial password. Whenever you need to change your LAN password you can do so at https://password.umflint.edu.
For assistance with your computer account, stop into any open computer lab to speak with the Helpdesk support staff. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your student computer account, please contact the Helpdesk.
A Uniqname is a general identifier used by UM-Flint. Your uniqname allows you to log in to your computer on campus and also provides the first part of your email address. Some services such as library catalogs and antivirus software which use the uniqname may require the UMICH (also called Ann Arbor or Kerberos) password. Your uniqname and other information will be listed in U-M Ann Arbor’s Online Directory at https://mcommunity.umich.edu/. (MCommunity works best in Firefox)
- LAN Passwords are used in conjunction with your uniqname to grant access to computing services on campus. If you need assistance resetting the LAN password, bring picture identification to any of the the ITS Helpdesk locations. These locations can be found at http://www.umflint.edu/helpdesk.
- Ann Arbor Passwords (also known as Kerberos passwords) are used to gain access to Library resources, faculty/staff payment services, and UM Online Directory entries. If you need assistance resetting your Ann Arbor password, bring picture identification to any of the the ITS Helpdesk locations. These locations can be found at http://www.umflint.edu/helpdesk.
Email Addresses for UM-Flint students are as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may access your email either on campus or from home using web-based email by typing http://email.umflint.edu in the browser (Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher recommended).
- The supported software for student email is Microsoft Web Access or Microsoft Outlook. Please be aware that the size limit for sending attachments is 20 MB. For email guidelines, please consult the Electronic Communication Policy.
- Outlook Mailbox storage capacity for students is 1 Gb.
Messages left in your Deleted Items folder will be automatically deleted after 30 days.
After creating an email account students:
- begin to recieve Mail Digests
- have access to special features like email signatures (When using IE)
ITS highly recommends that you use your UM-Flint student email account to view campus-related messages and to communicate with your professors and fellow students.
Personal directories, also known as your H: drive or Homedrive, are available for saving data on the campus server. Each student receives 500 MB of storage that can be used to store personal files (view Server Policy for more information). You can easily access your personal directory when you are logged into a computer on campus. You can identify your H: drive in the list of directories on the computer, because it begins with your uniqname.
Within their Homedrive directory, students will find a folder called “homepage” which can be used to house personal web pages. Please visit the Homepage Gallery to register your website, blog, or social site (MySpace, FaceBook, etc.)
Your Homedrive and Homepage directories can be accessed from your home computer using a VPN by visiting https://vpn.umflint.edu.
To help protect your privacy by keeping your social security number confidential, UM-Flint has issued identification numbers, called the UMID, for all students.
The UMID is a universal number used by all UM campuses and is sometimes referred to as the EMPL ID. If you are employed by the University, this number is also used for your payroll records.
You should try to memorize this number so that you can use it to login to SIS and provide it to faculty and staff who may be assisting you.
When you login to SIS (using your Uniqname and LAN Password) please following these steps to view your UMID:
- Click on Personal Information
- Click on View Your UMID.
If you have additional questions about your UMID, please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-766-6804.
Alumni are eligible to purchase account, storage and email services. Please contact ITS at 810-762-3123 for more information.
- Uniqname and Local Area Network (LAN) ID: $5 per year
- LAN ID and password to access aplications in all ITS open computer labs
- Email account (email address:email@example.com)
- A total of 1Gb of storage space on Student Mail and Space on the Data Server (H Drives) used to store personal files.
- Basic troubleshooting assistance from ITS Helpdesk
All registration at UM-Flint is done via the Internet on the Student Information Services (SIS) website.
If you have forgotten your LAN password, and you have already supplied your personal Security Questions then follow these simple instructions:
- Navigate to https://password.umflint.edu/forgot
- Enter your Uniqname and follow the prompts.
If you have not yet supplied a Security Question, you may call the ITS Helpdesk at (810) 766-6804 to have your password reset.