What is a Virus?
Computer viruses are software applications that are designed and written to destroy or corrupt data. Most viruses are obtained by sharing and copying infected software. A virus can also be acquired by downloading infected files from the Internet.
How to Scan for Viruses:
Virus scanning Information and software is available at the following site:
To download the VirusScan software click on the link above then choose an operating system and a program to download. Then the directory will come up with the files you need to download to disk. Make sure the computer is not infected with a virus prior to downloading the software.
How to Protect Yourself from Viruses.
- If your computer is infected:
- Remove the virus by running virus protection software.
- Be sure to scan all of your diskettes before reusing them to prevent further contamination.
(If this doesn’t work, you’ll most likely have to delete the files from your system.)
- If you suspect you have received a virus via email, do not open the attachment, but instead delete the mail message and inform the person you received it from.
- As a general rule, never open an attachment from an untrusted source.
- Always be careful when opening attachments from a trusted source.