Configuring Windows 8 to Access the MWireless Wireless Network
Before You Begin:
What are all these networks?
- Every Wi-Fi device owned by UM-Flint affiliates should connect to MWireless (with the exception of game consoles). If devices have other UM-Flint Wi-Fi networks remembered such as Setup for MWireless or MGuest please forget them and connect to MWireless ONLY.
- Setup for MWireless
- This is only to help people with Laptops (not phones or tablets) get automatically configured properly to connect to MWireless. If you have a university owned laptop (such as PT student issued laptops) DO NOT use this.
- Every Wi-Fi device owned by NON-UM-Flint affiliates can gain one day access to Wi-Fi. Also, once game consoles are registered, they can connect to MGuest for one year. Game consoles can never connect to MWireless because of the advanced security used.
Some users will have trouble connecting even if these steps are followed correctly. This typically happens on older computers with out of date wireless card drivers. We have noticed this issue with Intel and Atheros wireless cards. The solution to this is to update the wireless drivers from the wireless card manufacturer’s website, not from Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc… You can determine what wireless card you have using the device manager. You may also want to search the web for instructions on how to complete this process.
Connecting to MWireless
To connect your personal laptop to MWireless please connect to Setup for MWireless then open a browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), and follow the prompts provided. Be sure to read the prompts as they will give machine specific instructions for connecting to MWireless.
If Setup for MWireless does not work for your device please try the steps below.
Other Options to Connect to MWireless:
Manually Configuring MWireless:
NOTE: If you have previously configured MWireless you will need to “Forget” this before using the steps below.
- From the live tiles screen, type Network and Sharing
- Click Settings on the right side of the screen
- Click Network and Sharing Center
- In the middle of the page select setup a new connection or network
- In the Setup a connection or network box, select manually connect to a wireless network
- Click Next
- Next to Network Name type MWireless
- For the Security type select WPA2-Enterprise
- In the manually connect to a wireless network box, Click Next
- Click Change connection settings
- Click the Security tab
- Next to Microsoft Protected EAP, click the settings button
- At the top of the Protected EAP properties box ensure that there IS a checkmark next to Verify the server’s identity by validating the certificate
- Place a checkmark next to Connect to these servers:
- In the textbox below “Connect to these servers” type pf.umflint.edu
- In the “Trusted Root Certification Authorities:” selection box place a checkmark next to Addtrust External CA Root
- In the Notifications before Connecting dropdown list select Don’t ask user to authorize new servers or trusted CAs.
- Near the bottom of the window, under Select authentication method Click the configure button
- From the EAP MSCHAP V2 properties window uncheck automatically use my windows logon name and password
- Click OK
- Just below the dropdown for “Select Authentication Method” place a checkmark next to Enable Fast Reconnect.
- In the protected EAP properties box, Click OK
- Near the bottom of the window, Click Advance settings
- Check the box next to Specify authentication mode
- From the drop down menu, choose user authentication
- Click Save Credentials
- In the windows security box, in the user name field, type your firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the password field type your LAN password
- Click OK
- In the advanced settings box click OK
- In the MWireless wireless network properties box, click OK.
- In the Manually connect to a wireless network box, Click Close.
- From the desktop, click on the wireless icon.
- From the list of networks click MWireless.
- Under the MWireless network, click Connect.
- Wait while your computer connects. (This could take a couple minutes)
- You are now connected to MWireless.