Configuring Windows 7 or Vista to Access MWireless Wireless Network
Before You Begin:
Unlike most mobile devices, you cannot simply scan for the MWireless network, choose it, and enter your credentials with a Windows computer. You must manually set up MWireless with specific security settings because you are using a personal laptop that is not owned by the University of Michigan.
If MWireless is available, be sure to follow these steps to connect to MWireless instead of any Guest networks for the fastest wireless experience. Guest Networks should only be used for patrons that do not have a UM-Flint Login.
All Staff and Students should use MWireless for the best wireless experience, the MGuest network should only be used for patrons that do not have a UM-Flint Login account.
Some users will have trouble connecting even if these steps are followed correctly. This typically happens on older computers with out of date wireless card drivers. We have noticed this issue with Intel and Atheros wireless cards. The solution to this is to update the wireless drivers from the wireless card manufacturer’s website, not from Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc… You can determine what wireless card you have using the device manager. You may also want to search the web for instructions on how to complete this process.
Students or Faculty/Staff who would prefer to watch a video with setup instructions can do so by clicking play on the respective video below. Please note the Faculty/Staff video should be used with university owned computers that are on the domain.
- Right click your wireless icon typically found in the lower right of the taskbar.
- From the opened dialogue box click Open Network and Sharing Center.
- In the left pane, click Manage wireless networks.
- Check to see if you already have a misconfigured “MWireless” network listed, if so, click MWireless and then click Remove from the menu (answer “yes” to confirm remove).
- Click Add from the menu bar, then click Manually create a network profile.
- Fill in the following information:
- Network Name: MWireless
- Security Type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption Type: AES
- Start this connection automatically should be checked.
- Click Next and then click Change Connection Settings
- Click the Security Tab, Verify Network authentication method is set to (PEAP).
- Click Settings (next to PEAP) and uncheck Validate Server Certificate, then toward the bottom under Authentication (EAP-MSCHAP v2) click Configure.
- Uncheck Automatically use my Windows Logon name and password and click ok to close this window and ok again to close the protected EAP properties window.
- On the window still left open, click Advanced Settings
- Check the box labeled Specify Authentication Mode and from the drop down menu select User Authentication.
- Click Save Credentials then enter your firstname.lastname@example.org for the username and your current LAN password for the password.
- Click OK to close Advanced settings.
- Click OK to close MWireless Wireless Network settings, and finally click upper red X to close Manage wireless networks window.
You should now be connected to the” MWireless” network
How do I update my password in my wireless settings?
If you change your LAN password anytime during the school year you will also have to change the saved credentials for MWireless.
- Follow steps 1-3 above
- Right click MWireless
- Click Properties
- Click Security tab and then the Advanced settings button.
- Click Replace credentials to re-enter your ID and current password.
- Click ok to close all 3 open windows.