Installing and Using Microsoft Security Essentials
Before You Begin:
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is an antivirus program for Windows based pc’s. The university is ending its contract with McAfee and will be using Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Forefront (on university owned computers) for antivirus protection.
- Microsoft Forefront is an anti-virus program for enterprise use ONLY. This should only be installed on university owned computers.
- Microsoft Security Essentials is anti-virus program for personal use. This is the version that should be installed on all personal computers (non-university owned computers). Microsoft Security Essentials should NOT be installed on a unversity owned computer.
If you have any further questions about MSE please contact the ITS Helpdesk or consult the Microsoft online documentation located here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/Default.aspx
Downloading MSE from the Internet:
- Open your internet browser (internet explorer, firefox, etc) and go to the following internet address: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx
- Follow the instructions on that website to download the appropriate version for your particular computer. Please note that to install this program you will need administrative privilages on the computer that you are using.
- Save the installation file to your desktop (or another location that you will be able to find)
Note: Students (or Fac/Staff interested in putting it on a personal computer) can also stop by the helpdesk with a flashdrive to recieve a copy of the installation files.
- Double click the installation file that you acquired from above.
- When the installation window appears, click Next to continue.
- Read the Licensing agreement and click I accept to continue.
- Check the box next to “I do not want to join the program at this time” and click Next to continue.
- Make sure that the box next to “If no firewall is tuned on, turn on Windows Firewall (Recommended)” is checked and click Next to continue.
- Before clicking install, make sure that there is no other antivirus or antispyware programs installed on your computer.
- Clicking install will begin the installation process. Please note that this may take several minutes on your computer.
- When Microsoft Security Essentials completes the installation, click Finish to run a scan on your computer and check for the latest updates.
Running a Virus Scan with MSE:
- After installing Microsoft Security Essentials, double click on the icon on your desktop for Microsoft Security Essentials or navigate to the Microsoft Security Essentials folder in the start menu and double click the icon.
- Click Start Scan
- Select Full Scan
- Click Next
- Microsoft Security Essentials will now begin a scan of your system. Depending on how many files you have on your computer this may take up to a few hours.