Finding Your Wireless MAC Address on Your Console
Before You Begin:
ITS has changed the way that your console will connect to the wireless network here at UM-Flint. Please visit http://www.umflint.edu/helpdesk/?p=5139 for instructions on registering and connecting your console to connect to the MGuest network.
While you may try to register any console device on MGuest ITS supports the following devices: Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii U.
Special Note: Original Wii’s will not be able to connect to MGuest network because the hardware present on these devices prevents it from connecting to modern enterprise wireless networks including UM-Flint.
Finding your PS3 MAC Address:
- Turn on your PS3
- Scroll to Settings (2nd from left)
- Scroll down to Network Settings
- Select Network Settings
- Select Settings in the Connection Status list
- Scroll down until you see MAC address
Finding your Wii U MAC Address:
- From the Wii U Menu, select System Settings
- Using the left stick select the Internet icon and press the A button
- Select View MAC Address and wait a moment for the MAC address to be displayed
Finding your Xbox 360 MAC Address:
*With the Xbox 360 you will need to connect to MGuest in order to get the MAC address. Upon this initial connection you will not successfully connect to the MGuest network. Once you register your MAC address from a PC you will be able to successfully connect.
- From Main Menu navigate to Settings
- Highlight System and click A
- Scroll down to Network Settings and click A
- Scan for the wireless network called MGuest
- If necessary click X to force the system the scan.
- Scroll over to MGuest and Click A.
- If prompted to confirm connecting to an unsecured network click yes.
- If prompted with a warning about logging all users out in order to test your network connection click yes. -Remember this test will fail until you register.
- After the test Highlight Configure Network and click A.
- Scroll over to Additional Settings tab.
- Arrow down to Advanced Settings and click A.
- The MAC address will be displayed in the left column.
- Write this MAC address down adding colons after every 2 digits. Example 0017FA79FC85 becomes 00:17:FA:79:FC:85.
- Now that you have the MAC address you can connect to the MGuest wireless network using a laptop (NOT THE XBOX GAME CONSOLE). Follow the instructions to register a game console and enter the MAC address including the colons.
- Once you have received the message that your console has been registered, you can return to the XBOX menu and run the connection test for MGuest which will now complete successfully.
- If you do not have access to a laptop to register the MAC address please bring the MAC address and your Mcard to the ITS Helpdesk.