In a 1837 letter to family back east, Ann Arbor resident Sarah C. Miles Case wrote, “A branch of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor is to be established in Flint at some future day.”
That day turned out to be September 23rd 1956, nearly 120 years after Sarah penned the first recorded mention of a University of Michigan-Flint campus. On that autumn morning, 167 students began their first day at Flint Senior College (located where Mott Community College is today).
Owing to the vision, generosity, and leadership of community leaders in Flint and Ann Arbor, the school continued to evolve and adapt in accordance with the needs of the community it was established to serve.
In 1970, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools accredited what was then called Flint College. In 1971, the U-M Board of Regents officially changed the name of the institution to the University of Michigan-Flint. That same year, University of Michigan President Robben Fleming appointed the first Chancellor of the University of Michigan-Flint, William E. Moran.
In the late 1970s, the university began moving to property in the heart of downtown Flint, building a riverfront campus of modern buildings and amenities for its growing student population. In 2006, UM-Flint celebrated 50 Years of Excellence. The university finally became a residential campus in 2008 when 300 students moved into the First Street Residence Hall.