Holiday and Season Days
The information below, regarding extended hours exceptions, holidays, season days and days of special observances, is designed to assist UM-Flint departments and employees in their planning efforts for this year.
It is important to remember that all offices need to observe their normal schedules except for the days listed below. Deans, directors and supervisors are strongly encouraged to make every effort to grant vacation requests during the holiday season, to the extent that the department hours of operation and needs are met.
To view the Academic Calendar for class dates and related closings, please visit www.umflint.edu/registrar/academic-calendars
Fall Semester 2017:
- Monday, September 4, 2017– Closed in observance of Labor Day (Holiday)
- Wednesday, November 22, 2017 – Offices close at 5pm
- Thursday and Friday, November 23 and 24, 2017– Closed in observance of Thanksgiving (Both days are considered Holidays)
- Monday, December 25, 2017 - Closed in observance of Christmas (Holiday)
- Tuesday, December 26, 2017 – Closed for Season Day*
- Wednesday, December 27, 2017 – Closed for Season Day*
- Thursday, December 28, 2017 – Closed for Season Day*
- Friday, December 29, 2017 – Closed for Season Day*
The schedule for 2018 is as follows:
Winter Semester 2018:
- Monday, January 1, 2018 - Closed in observance of New Year's Day
- University is OPEN for business Tuesday, January 2, 2018
- Monday, January 15, 2018 – Martin Luther King Jr. Observance Program – Offices are open
- Monday, February 26 to Friday, March 4, 2018 - Spring Break, offices close at 5pm this week
Spring Semester 2018:
- Monday, May 28, 2018 – Closed in observance of Memorial Day (Holiday)
Summer Semester 2018:
- Wednesday, July 4, 2018– Closed in observance of Independence Day (Holiday)
Fall Semester 2018:
- Monday, September 3, 2018– Closed in observance of Labor Day (Holiday)
- Wednesday, November 22, 2018 – Offices close at 5pm
- Thursday and Friday, November 22 and 23, 2018– Closed in observance of Thanksgiving (Both days are considered Holidays)
- Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - Closed in observance of Christmas (Holiday)
- Wednesday, December 26, 2018 – Closed for Season Day*
- Thursday, December 27, 2018 – Closed for Season Day*
- Friday, December 28, 2018 – Closed for Season Day*
- Monday, December 31, 2018 – Closed for Season Day*
University is OPEN for business on Tuesday, January 2, 2019
* Season Days: Employees who work on a Season Day will receive an equivalent amount of vacation hours as an addition to their vacation accrual. They may schedule this vacation time at any time during the year by requesting vacation as they usually do. Using the time reporting code SEW for hours worked on a season day will pay the staff member at the appropriate rate and automatically add an equivalent number of hours to their vacation balance. For regular part-time staff, it may be necessary to report some Season Day hours after New Year's Day in order to account for their proportion of Season Day hours due.
Employees in bargaining units observe Holidays and Season Days as indicated in their respective collective bargaining agreements.
Because other days may be of more significance than a University-designated holiday, a staff member may request approval to substitute up to three (3) holidays of his/her choice for any three (3) University holidays. Written request of substitution(s) for the upcoming fiscal year must be given to the immediate supervisor on or before July 1st of that year.
A reminder notice of these days will be sent from the Flint Human Resources Office one week prior to each observance. Any questions regarding scheduling, flex time, impact on union employees or offices with 24/7 shifts should be directed to the Flint Human Resources office at 810-762-3150.