Honors Courses 495 and 496

HON 495 and HON 496 are directed study courses which have no official meeting times stated in the catalogue. You must set up a schedule of meetings with your advisor to complete the requirements of these courses.

HON 495 gives you four credits for going off campus. HON 496 gives you an additional four credits for your thesis. Your thesis, which reflects the culmination of the off-campus experience, provides the basis for the grade for both courses. Both courses may be taken as HON courses, or as the equivalent courses in your discipline.

When do I enroll in Honors 495 and 496?

  1. You have the following enrollment options:

    a) enroll during the off-campus experience

    b) enroll during the semester before your off-campus experience

    c) enroll during the semester(s) following your off-campus experience

  2. Flexibility: These options allow you the flexibility to take these credits during a semester when they can be fit in, but you are not required to complete the course until a later date.

  3. Y Grade: Until the Honors Thesis is completed, you receive a Y grade for the off-campus courses.

How are HON 495 and HON 496 Graded?

  1. ABCDE for HON 495 or 496. You may also receive a Y grade indicating that it is a course in progress.

  2. The Y grade is not an Incomplete grade. Therefore it does not affect your gpa or your applications for graduate or professional school.

  3. A Y grade signals that you have two years to complete the work from the time you first register for these courses.

What is the equivalent of HON 495 and 496 in my major?

  1. Consult your catalogue to find the equivalent of Honors 495 and 496 in your major.

  2. Differences in Numbering: In some cases, to avoid conflicts with other courses in the major, the numbering is slightly different, and may appear as 494 and 495. However, the courses remain the same.

Should I take these courses as HON, or should I take them in my major?

  1. For Bachelor of Arts Students: The 40/65 hour rule for the Bachelor of Arts states that you cannot count more than 40 credits in your major, or a total of 65 credits in any two subjects toward a Bachelor of Arts.  (This rule does not apply to a Bachelor of Science.)

  2. If you are in danger of violating the 40/65 hour rule by having too many credits in your B.A. major: take HON 495 with the HON prefix instead of the equivalent course in your major. For example, an English major who already has 35 credits in his or her major would not take ENG 495 and 496. Instead, he or she would take HON 495 and HON 496.

  3. With the HON prefix, the four credits no longer count as credits in your major. However, they are still graded by the advisor in your major, and the area of study is in your major. Only the course prefix changes.

  4. This strategy may help prevent you from exceeding the 40 credits in your major allowed to count toward a Bachelor of Arts Degree.