Advising Honors Students

Who can serve as an Honors Advisor/Mentor?

  • Any professor or full-time lecturer in a department can serve as an Honors Advisor/Mentor to a student.
  • In their freshman and sophomore years, students generally meet once in a semester just before registration during the advising period with the Honors Representative within their department or school.
  • By junior year, the student requests to work with a member of the department or school, who may or may not be the Honors Representative.
  • The student's advisor/mentor for junior and senior year is designated "Honors faculty" for the duration of the time he or she serves as mentor to the student.


What does the Honors Advisor/Mentor do?

  • The Honors Advisor/Mentor works closely with the individual student.
  • The Honors Advisor/Mentor generally meets once or twice a month with the student during the preparation of the off-campus study and the writing of the thesis.
  • The Honors Advisor/Mentor also keeps in communication with the Honors Director about the student's progress in order to ensure the successful completion of the off-campus proposal, the post-off campus report, and the honors thesis. 


Can a student work with more than one Honors Advisor/Mentor?

  • Students may receive advice and suggestions from more than one advisor in a department or school. 
  • The student may also work with two different advisors from two different departments in the case of an interdisciplinary project (for example, linguistics and psychology, education and French).


What do I need to know to advise Honors students?

  • In the freshmen and sophomore years, advising in the Honors Program is essentially the same as advising students in non-Honors majors. Advising that works for regular majors is also fully applicable for Honors students.
  • The only difference is that students substitute four honors core courses for English 111, English 112, two courses in Humanities and two courses in Scoial Sciences.  Honors 155, 156, 251, 252 complete all of the general education requirements just mentioned.
  • In the junior and senior years, Honors students complete the requirements for the major.  However, they also take the following 300 and 400 level courses, which count as upper-level credit in the major.
    1. An off-campus preperation course (300-level).  This is optional in some majors.
    2. A course numbered 495 (4 credits) for the off-campus study (optional in SEHS).
    3. A course numbered 496 (4 credits) for the writing of the thesis.
    4. An Honors numbered 393, one credit per semester, with the Honors Director.
    5. Honors 498 (Honors Senior Seminar, 3 credits).
    6. All of the above, except Honors 498, are independent study courses.
  • Over the course of the program, all Honors students are required to complete five honors elections (short independent study projects).  These may consist of a project completed in conjunction with a non-Honors class.  They may also consist of a conference paper or poster.  One honors election may be a service election.


How do I advise junior/senior transfers?

  • Junior/senior transfer students generally enter the program at the end of their sophomore year.
  • These students may transfer in two ways. 
    1. They may transfer from another university or  from a community college.
    2. They may also transfer into the Honors Program from within the University of Michigan-Flint.
  • They complete only the junior/senior phase of the program (see above).
  • They need to complete only two of the five required honors elections.
  • They are also required to take Honors 355 (5 credits) in the fall semester after they have been accpeted into the Honors Program.