Frequency Asked Questions

Click on any of the links below for answers to frequently asked questions.

Do local businesses provide special services to students?

The entire Flint community is enthusiastic and supportive of student housing at UM-Flint. Entities such as MTA and the Farmer’s Market, and other local businesses continually meet with university representatives to work on providing additional services to accommodate our residential students, as well as over 6,000 students who commute to UM-Flint every day.

How do I register to vote?

Every Michigan voter who offers to vote in the polls must comply with the requirement by showing picture identification or signing an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification. (See MCL 168.523 for voter identification requirement.) For information on registering and where to vote, click here.

How much will a student pay to live in the residence hall on campus?

Housing Rates (per occupant) – Room and Board:

Academic Year: September 1, 2013 - April 30, 2014 (Rates listed below are for 2013-2014.)

Single Suite 4 person: 4 single bedrooms with 2 bathrooms - $8,964
Double Suite: 2 double bedrooms with 2 bathrooms (bedroom is shared with one other person) - $7,703
Single Suite 2 person: 2 single bedrooms with 1 bathroom - $9,191

Is alcohol allowed for students over 21?

The residence hall is completely alcohol-free.

Is the housing co-ed?

While floors are co-ed, rooms are not.

Is the Residence Hall open year-round?

We use the residence hall year-round, including during the spring and summer months for conferences, campus, and other activities.

Should I get renter's insurance

While we don't require renters insurance it is always a good option. Housing and Residential Life does not cover damaged or stolen items. Renters insurance is normally reasonably priced and a good idea. If your parents own a home you can always check the coverage on their home owners insurance to see if it covers your items in the residence hall.

What about parking?

State law requires registration and insurance coverage on any automobile parked in a residence hall parking lot, including those with a University-issued parking permit. The University and Housing and Residential Life assume no liability for theft or damage to a vehicle parked in a University-owned parking lot.  Parking permits are issued at the beginning of each semester.

What about smoking

The residence hall is a smoke-free environment.

What are some of the unique features of the residence hall?

The residential hall features apartment-style housing options:

1. Four students in individual bedrooms sharing two bathrooms, a common living area and a kitchenette.
2. Four students sharing two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a common living area and kitchenette.
3. Two students in individual bedrooms sharing one bathroom, a common living area and a kitchenette (limited availability).

What is the size of the residence hall?

The facility is a four-story structure, with 310 beds for students. The total square footage will be approximately 101,163 gross square feet.

What services are provided for students?

  • Laundry rooms located on each floor
  • Recycling centers on every floor
  • A multipurpose area that can also serve as a classroom for special programming and seminars
  • The entire building has wireless Internet
  • Study lounges on each level

Where is the Housing Application?

Where would I go for banking services?

Banking services are located near campus.  ATM machines are located in the University Center and Pavilion.  For more information about banking, click here