Invest in Your Success (IYS) program creates incentivized ways for students to take ownership of their academic experience at the University of Michigan-Flint. The main goal of the program is to graduate students and to do this we pair students with a UM-Flint faculty or staff member who serves as their IYS Mentor, among other things.
- Ease the transition and challenges faced by first-year students, both academically and personally
- Support second-year and upper-class students as they progress through their academic careers
- Improve and develop study skills required for college level academic success
- Create avenues for students to access campus resources and generate additional resources based on demonstrated student needs and trends
- Assist students in building relationships with peers, staff and faculty who serve in mentoring roles
- Provide a personal support system through which students can work through challenges and celebrate successes
- Encourage students to become involved in Student Life
- Develop individual student goals and provide one-on-one support to insure they are progressing toward their goals
The IYS program was designed for residents that live in the residence halls, but any UM-Flint student can be a part of the program.
To become an IYS Student, you must complete the IYS registration form. A link to the form is below.
IYS Mentors are UM-Flint faculty or staff members who volunteer to be a part of the program. If a student requests a mentor who has not agreed to be a part of the program, the coordinator of the program contacts that person via email informing them that a student has requested that they be their mentor for the program. In the email, the coordinator also includes additional information about the program.
Once the match has been made, the mentor will receive two emails. The first email will list the student and mentor and their email addresses. The second e-mail will be a copy of the students IYS registration form. After receiving the emails, the student and mentor can start communicating with one another. The mentor will receive a package via campus mail or email that includes a Mentor guide.
The expectation is that mentors communicate with their student on a regular basis regarding their academic progress. They can meet weekly, biweekly or monthly. Their communication patterns and methods are based on the comfort levels.
To become an IYS Mentor, you need to complete the IYS Mentor registration form. A link to the form is below.