Policies & Procedures

Standard Practice Guide (SPG):

The Standard Practice Guide, or SPG, is furnished to provide University of Michigan employees with convenient access to the operating policies and practices of the various departments, facilities, and services that are available. Normally internal procedures within an office or department are not included in the SPG. To view these documents, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader , a free download from Adobe.   Commonly used SPGs are listed below. 

Employment of Students (201.24)
Funeral Time (201.03)
Holidays (201.26-0)
Jury and Witness Pay (201.29)
Leaves of Absence (201.30-0)  (Staff)
Leaves of Absence (201.30-1)  (Faculty)
Moving and Relocation Expenses (201.68)
Minors on Campus (601.34)
Overtime (Non-exempt Staff) (201.38-0)
Performance & Conduct Standards (201.12)
Pre-Employment Background Checks (201.95)
Retirement (201.83)
Retirement Furlough (201.81)
Sabbatical Leave (Instructional) (201.30-2)
Season Days (201.26-1)
Security of Devices (201.33)
Sick Leave Plan (Instructional) (201.11-1)
Sick Time Pay Staff (201.11-0)
Temporary Employment (2 01.57)
University Tuition Support Program (201.69-0)
Flint Tuition Support
Vacation (Instructional Staff) (201.64-1)
Vacation (Regular Allied Health, etc.) (201.64-0) 

Handbooks and Other Policies:

Faculty Handbook - For all University tenure track Faculty.

Staff Handbook - For all non-bargained-for University staff.

Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Policy for Students, Faculty and Staff

Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Committment (COI/COC) - For all faculty, staff and temporary employees.

Campus Code of Conduct for Student Loans - For all staff/faculty who work with private student loan information.

May 2009, University Year Changes - Information on the recent switch to University Year Pay cycle I (tenure track faculty members). 

Fair Labor Standards Act - Information regarding the changes in the Fair Labor Standards act. 

Personnel Paperwork Retention Information - Guide to department responsibilities and regulations when storing specific paperwork.

Office Hours & Business Hosting Guidelines - Guide to UM-Flint Office Hours, Holiday Parties/Seasonal Gatherings and Business Meals and Retreats.

Union Contracts:

American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO (AFSCME)   

Graduate Employees’ Organization (GEO)

International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE)

Lecturers' Employee Organization (LEO)

Michigan Nurses Association

Police Officers Association of Michigan (POAM)

Skilled Trades Union (TRADES)

New Maternity and Parental Leave Policy Information

Effective September 1, 2018, the University of Michigan has offered new paid leaves of absence to support faculty and staff who welcome children by birth, adoption, foster care or legal guardianship.  In addition, eligibility for extended sick time will be reduced from two years of service to one year for faculty and staff, which applies to all uses of extended sick time, including those not related to pregnancy or childbirth.

For more information, please visit www.hr.umich.edu/parental-leave.
Please contact Human Resources at (810) 762-3150 if you have any questions. 

Children on Campus:

General Information, Including Policy and Program Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions

Children on Campus Presentation 

For questions on policies or procedures contact: Tonja Petrella, Assistant Director at tpetrell@umflint.edu or 810-424-5417.

For background checks, please email Children on Campus Progam Registry to Tawana Branch, HR Generalist Intermediate at brancht@umflint.edu.

DPS Oversight Committee:

The Department of Public Safety Oversight Committee is an independent committee comprised of elected faculty, staff and student representatives established to address grievances and complaints by persons against Department of Public Safety police officers or the department. The Committee may make recommendations concerning such grievances and complaints to Human Resources, including recommendations for disciplinary action.

To get information or to file a complaint, call (810) 762-3150, email Helen Phinisee at phinisee@umflint.edu or stop by Room 213, Human Resources, in the University Pavilion. 

DPS Oversight Committee Complaint form

PeoplePay Form Information:

The PeoplePay forms and wizard tool replaced the Form G method for paying services rendered outside of base pay delivery, and to non-employees.  Click here to see the PeoplePay Presentation from the Flint Campus updated in October 2008.  To complete a PeoplePay form, please go to http://peoplepay.umich.edu.

Tools for M-Pathway HR Users:

Personnel Action Request (PAR) Quick Tips 

Addititional Pay Earning Codes Frequently used at the Flint Campus

Tech Tools:

Flint Tech Tools Procedures

Flint Tech Tools Verification Statement

Deduction  Authorization Form

Visting Scholar:

Visting Scholar Process 

Visiting Scholar Application 

J-1 Invitation Letter - Sample

Non J-1 Invitation Letter - Sample