Resources for IRB Members
Guidance for completing your review of an IRB application
For all reviews:
To ensure all required elements of consent are present the use of a checklist based on the OHRP template should be used by the reviewer and attached in the reviewer checklist area “supporting review documents” when submitting your review.
When serving as Primary Reviewer on a full board study
To ensure the minutes of the meeting are accurately and efficiently prepared please prepare a written summary of the details of the project that you will present at the meeting. Attach this written summary in the reviewer checklist area “supporting review documents” when submitting your review. Please use the template for the written summary.
General Guidance while completing your review
1. Student projects must include faculty advisor information on the consent form and recruitment materials.
2. Check for consistency of information across the eResearch application, recruitment materials, consent forms, and any other documentation.
Education and Training Resources
Ongoing education for IRB members is important to keep our knowledge of regulations and their current interpretation up to date. When you complete an educational activity please send an email to Mary Mandeville at email@example.com, listing the name of the item you have reviewed/completed so it can be documented in the office records.
- CITI Collaborative Institutional Training (You will need to register. The participating institution is 'University of Michigan'. Must provide your UM email address): https://www.citiprogram.org/Default.asp?
- NIH Human Bioethics Training (Click on the picture of the session, then the start or play arrow. The sessions are of varying lengths): http://videocast.nih.gov/PastEvents.asp?c=22
- Office of Human Research Protection (OHRP) Educational videos: http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/education/training/index.html