The Conversation Partner Program is sponsored by the English Language Program (ELP). It pairs international students who are learning English with students, faculty, or staff members of the UM-Flint community. Participants sign an agreement to meet for 1-2 hour(s) per week on campus for informal conversation for the entire term. This program is entirely volunteer based.
Who can participate in the Conversation Partner Program?
- Current UM-Flint students with excellent English speaking ability
- UM-Flint faculty and staff with excellent English speaking ability
What are the goals?
- Allow your conversation partner ample opportunity for speaking practice
- Help conversation partner build confidence in expressing his/her thoughts and asking questions
- Strengthen conversation partner’s discussion skills
- Broaden conversation partner’s level of verbal expression
What is expected of a Conversation Partner?
- Attend meetings with ELP students and be on time to partner meetings
- Be polite, patient, and respectful
- Represent UM-Flint appropriately
- Have fun!