Pre-Arrival Checklist

  • Contact the International Center and inform them that you have received your admissions material and/or I-20
  • Read Travel Information to learn about student visas.  This will tell you how to pay the SEVIS fee and where you can get information on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country.
  • Pay the SEVIS fee. Required only if you have not paid previously
  • Take the following items with you to visa appointment:
    • SEVIS fee receipt
    • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student (also known as I-20)
    • Passport
    • UM-Flint letter of admission
    • Documents showing adequate financial resources (bank statements)
    • Additional materials that may be requested of you 
  • Inform the International Center once you have received your visa
  • Using your UMID and PIN, log on to Student Information System (SIS) and follow the steps to registration
  • If applicable, take the Math and English placement test in SIS. This will allow you to register for classes at UM-Flint
  • Review the classes that will be offered  in the course catalog and think about what type of schedule you would like to have. View schedule online. Remember undergraduate international students must be registered for at least 12 credits.
  • Secure housing accommodations. Click here to view housing options.
  • Make flight reservations to Flint Bishop International Airport
  • Provide the International Center with your flight information well in advance.  To request airport pickup, please fill out the Airport Pickup Request Form.  Airport Pickups are only offered for the Fall term.
  • Make preparations for departure:
    • Bring all admissions and immigration paperwork
    • Pack clothing for Michigan weather, hot or cold

Post-Arrival Checklist

  • Move into your housing. Call home and inform your family and friends that you arrived safely.
  • Check-in at the International Center! Bring all immigration documents.
  • Attend the mandatory International Student Orientation
  • Meet with an Academic Advisor in the Academic Advising Center.
  • Register for classes
  • Make sure you get your UM Student ID Card during Orientation.
  • If applicable, you will need to get screened for tuberculosis (TB). This will be part of the International Student Orientation. For more information about this please visit:
  • Get a US Social Security Card.  You will need this card if you plan on working on campus.  Please see the International Center before you apply for this card.
    • Social Security Administration
      929 Stevens
      Flint, MI 48502
      (810) 239-9514
  • Optional: Get Michigan ID or Driver’s License. Information on how to apply will be given at the International Student Orientation.
    • Michigan Secretary of State
      408 South Saginaw Street
      Flint, MI 48502
      (810) 732-6040
      Across the street from the University Pavilion
  • Get involved with the student life on campus!